Legal Counsel - Wellington
At Xero, we’re here to make running a business beautiful. By making small business more efficient every day, connecting them with big business technology and empowering a community behind them, their potential is limitless. When that happens, we’re not only helping small business, we’ll be building a stronger economy that can change the world.
About the team
An exciting opportunity currently exists in our Wellington office for a Legal Counsel. A key hire for the business, the role will identify and proactively manage legal and compliance matters for Xero in the region. Reporting to the GM Legal and Business Advisory in Wellington and part of a dynamic worldwide team supporting a global digital platform, this is no ordinary in-house role!
Overview of Key Responsibilities
- Work closely with Xero’s commercial team in your region to help drive strategic relationships and initiatives for Xero locally, but with a global mindset.
- Provide advice to senior managers on legal aspects of their defined areas.
- Interpret legal documents and advise management on the most appropriate course of action and risks.
- Review, negotiate and draft key legal documents, such as vendor supply agreements, marketing partner agreements, data exchange and integration agreements and procurement contracts.
- Ensure the business is informed and compliant with any existing or proposed legislation.
- Contribute to internal policy and process development.
- Work with the team on delegated tasks, as requested.
- Potentially assist with M&A activity.
- Assist with enquiries from law enforcement agencies and regulators.
- Liaise with and help manage Xero’s external legal advisors, as required.
Our ideal candidate brings 3+ years PQE experience, with in-house experience desirable, ideally in a fast-paced or high growth business. Outstanding communication, legal advisory, contract drafting, business partnering skills, and the ability to provide strategic commercial advice, are key. You have a grounding in technology-related transactions and are able to extend to compliance and advisory areas. You have a bias to innovation, agility, collaboration and natural language communication. You have implemented projects such as training and compliance programs that empower your business stakeholders. You are excited by new ways of working and thinking outside the box. You have a practical, influential and results-focused approach and, above all, you bring a #human approach to the law.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a commercially savvy lawyer to take the next step with a progressive and innovative business with a global footprint.
At Xero, we champion innovation, foster inclusion and celebrate success.