What is ILANZ?
The In-house Lawyers Association of New Zealand (ILANZ) is a section of the New Zealand Law Society. Previously called the Corporate Lawyers Association of New Zealand (CLANZ), it was established in 1987 to meet the professional needs of in-house lawyers, including practice-sharing, networking and professional development.
It recognises the distinct needs and concerns of lawyers providing professional legal services to their employers. ILANZ members are New Zealand lawyers working in the private sector, public sector, not-for-profit and other organisations. ILANZ has approximately 2,620 members who make up 21% of the legal profession in New Zealand. ILANZ is governed by an executive committee of members and funds its own executive office based at the NZLS national office in Wellington.
Mission and Goals
The ILANZ mission is to provide leadership, support and relevant membership benefits to in-house lawyers.
Our goals are to:
- Serve the needs of in-house lawyers by providing members with the resources and the networks they need to better serve their organisations
- Promote the value of in-house lawyers and demonstrate their multi-faceted roles
- Promote the objects of, and operate as, a section of the New Zealand Law Society
- Provide leadership to those providing in-house legal services
- Provide and encourage professional networking opportunities
- Act as the voice and public face of in-house lawyers
- Identify and develop professional development opportunities
- Offer up-to-date information on national and international trends in the provision of in-house legal services
ILANZ Core Values
- Champion of member’s interests
- Welcoming and a sense of community
- Service leadership
- A trusted ally in a member’s career
ILANZ has strong alliances with corporate counsel organisations around the world, including being a member of In-house Counsel Worldwide (ICW). ICW is a global network of associations that is focused on the profession of in-house counsel. Member associations form a community of international in-house counsel working together to promote the value of the in-house profession; share knowledge and best practices across borders; and foster global connections.
Current members of ICW include:
Institut des Juristes d’Enterprise (IJE) (Belgium)
ILANZ also has informal alliances with other organisations including:
The ILANZ Rules, which address ILANZ objectives and membership, are available here.