In this fast-paced, exciting role you will play a key role providing legal advice and advocacy services to social workers and other staff. Your work will involve significant courtroom time conducting litigation on behalf of Oranga Tamariki, with a focus on ensuring good outcomes for tamariki and their whānau.
The key work occurs outside of the courtroom – advising and collaborating. This is a role where your relationships in the community will enable you to work collectively to make a positive difference for our tamariki.
Ko wai koe?
- You will have been admitted as a Barrister and Solicitor in New Zealand and have (or be eligible for) a practicing certificate;
- You are driven by a desire to ensure all tamariki are in loving whānau and communities
- You are committed to helping us honour our treaty commitments to Māori to improve long-term outcomes You thrive in a job where no day is the same but each day your mahi matters.
- You are committed to continuing your own Te Ao Māori development and cultural competence
- You have a sound understanding of either family or criminal (youth justice) law or have a genuine passion and interest to work in this area.
We have 8 new positions for Solicitors across New Zealand. Opportunities are available to work out of any of the following locations: Whangarei, Auckland, Hamilton, Rotorua, Napier, Hastings, Palmerston North, Wellington, Nelson, Invercargill (or possibly Dunedin).
We promote and support flexible working, so there may also be opportunities to work out of alternative offices.
Please ensure you indicate your preferred location when you apply.
How to apply?
Apply online using the following link with your CV and cover letter:
If you are an Oranga Tamariki employee already, please apply through your myHR portal. If you have any questions about the roles, please contact Fiona Sinclair on Fiona.Sinclair@ot.govt.nz