Solicitor - Agriculture, Forestry & Corporate Law Team
- Are you looking for an opportunity to contribute to the growth and protection of New Zealand's primary industries by providing legal advice within the large and dynamic organisation that is the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI)?
Who is MPI | Manatū Ahu Matua?
The primary sector is critical to New Zealand's growth and prosperity. There is increasing world demand for safe and sustainable primary products, and New Zealand is well placed to meet this demand by leveraging off its high quality and abundant natural resources. MPI is focused on going global to maximise export opportunities, and leading local to improve sector productivity, increase sustainable resource use, and protect from biological risk. MPI works with primary industries and other government agencies across a range of areas, including agricultural, fisheries, trade, food, and biosecurity issues.
To find out more about the Ministry and what we do please click here
Who are we looking for? | Ko te tangata mo tēnei tūranga?
We are looking for a Solicitor to join our Agriculture, Forestry & Corporate Law Team. MPI Solicitors are responsible for providing high quality, timely and practical legal advice. Our team supports MPI staff working in the Agriculture, Forestry and Corporate areas with advice on a mix of issues including statutory interpretation, development of legislation, resource management law, forestry transactions, the emissions trading scheme, public sector procurement, and property and commercial transactions. Solicitors are expected to develop technical excellence in a variety of areas of primary industries law and confidently assess and manage legal risk.
The Agriculture, Forestry and Corporate Law Team sits within the legal directorate. The team is responsible for all commercial matters including: IT agreements, general procurement/contracting matters, general property work, forestry, health and safety, agriculture and agribusiness work and advice on Maori Crown issues pertaining to the relevant area. Solicitors should also have relevant public law experience. Solicitors are expected to work across the Ministry with a varied focus.
More generally the Legal directorate covers a wide range of interesting work including commercial arrangements, operational advice, involvement in responses in food, trade and biosecurity, prosecutions and training.
MPI is committed to recruiting, recognising and creating opportunities for talented people to develop career paths within the organisation and beyond.
About You | Mōu
In order to be considered for this role, you will need:
- Relevant tertiary qualification in law and a current practising certificate, or the ability to hold one
- Public Law experience
- Resource Management experience
- Legislative development experience
- Experience in advising on the structure of commercial deals
- Good attention to detail and drafting skills
- Ability to make process improvement
- Ability to build and maintain effective relationships
- Can-do attitude with proven track record in delivery of legal advice
- Clear judgement and an ability to recognise and understand the implications of advice
- Good communication skills.
- Knowledge of legislation administered by the Ministry
- Experience in regulatory development
- Sound knowledge of public law and Parliamentary and Cabinet processes
Apply Now | Tonu mai inaianei
To view the position description and/or apply for the role (submitting a cover letter and current curriculum vitae), please click "APPLY NOW" or visit the MPI Careers Site. For tracking and reporting purposes, all applications must be submitted through our online careers portal. For further enquiries please contact Recruitment Adviser - Rosie at Rosie.Slevin@mpi.govt.nz
To apply for this role you must hold the right to work in New Zealand or be eligible to obtain it - click here to find out more about work visa eligibility and options.
Applications close: Friday 24 January 2020
The Ministry for Primary Industries is committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values inclusion and diversity. Your unique talents and experience will help us deliver exceptional services to our communities in Aotearoa. In return you'll enjoy an inclusive and flexible working environment in a diverse team of people while you're growing your career here in NZ and internationally. We actively encourage applications from all backgrounds. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to tell us when you apply so that we can assist you through the recruitment process.