Senior Solicitor - Permanent position
Kōrero mō te tūranga - About the Role
To help us in this we are looking for a Senior-Solicitor to join our highly skilled and very collegial Prosecutions Team, which is responsible for the provision of operational legal advice and prosecution services on an array of matters where non-compliance of the legislation MPI administers is identified.
A core part of the job will involve conducting the Ministry's prosecutions in the District Court in accordance with relevant policy and legislation.
You will also have other responsibilities such as:
- Advising on the interpretation of statutory provisions and new legislation
- Doing opinion work on wider issues
- Providing legal advice on OIA requests
- Providing operational advice (e.g. search warrants and production orders)
- Training our frontline compliance staff
Mōu - About You
For this you will ideally have completed relevant litigation skills training and have a good level of trial and court experience that would be equivalent to level 3 classification in terms of the Classification of In-House Public Prosecutors' Framework.
You will also need:
- Excellent written and oral skills and be able to communicate with clients clearly and precisely
- To provide well-researched, contextualised and solution-focussed legal advice with options for managing any legal risk identified
- Good interpersonal skills
- To work collaboratively with colleagues and build and maintain effective professional working relationships with clients across MPI
Mō te Manatū Ahu Matua - About MPI
The food and primary industries have long been the backbone of the New Zealand economy and a critical part of New Zealand's social structure. Collectively, the primary industries represent 79 percent of New Zealand's merchandise exports with the primary sector employing approximately 350,000 people.
The success of the primary sector is vital for New Zealand's prosperity and wellbeing. In order to protect our way of life well into the future, our primary sectors must thrive, our natural environment must be protected and the food we consume must be safe. To ensure this, the Ministry for Primary Industries is focussed on meeting its vision where New Zealand is the world's most sustainable provider of high-value food and primary products.
It is a big job which stretches from paddock, orchard, forest and ocean, through the processing, packaging, and transportation system, all the way to the market, and ultimately to consumers worldwide.
To find out more about the Ministry and what we do please click here
Ngā hua o te Mahi i te Manatū Ahu Matua: - Benefits of working at MPI
- Up to three additional (MPI holidays) leave days
- Career development and internal opportunities across the branch and organisation
- Wellness benefit for employees
- Reduced premiums for Group Healthcare Schemes
- Parental leave ex-gratia payment
- Paid eye test and contribution to the costs of corrective lenses/frames
- Study assistance available
- Flexible working - we support work life balance and flexible work arrangements whenever possible
The salary for Senior Solicitor role is circa $92k to $128k depending on skills and experience.
Ngā Taki Whakahaumaru - Security checks
Low level Security Clearance
- most preferably a NZ citizen, who has resided continuously in New Zealand for at least the last five (5) years, OR
- is a citizen of and/or has resided continuously in one or more of the following countries for the last five (5) years: either Australia, Canada, NZ, the United Kingdom (UK) or the United States of America (USA); and
- has a background history that is verifiable and can be assessed as appropriate by the NZ Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) towards a recommendation of suitability for a security clearance at this level.
Click here to find out more about the national security vetting process and access the eligibility self-check tool. If you do not meet these minimum criteria, we will not be able to accept your application.
Me pēhea te tuku tono - How to Apply
To view the position description and/or apply for the role please click "APPLY FOR THIS JOB" or visit the MPI Careers Site. For tracking and reporting purposes, all applications must be submitted through our online careers portal.
To apply for this role you must hold the right to work in New Zealand or be eligible to obtain it - click here to find out more about work visa eligibility and options.
The closing date is midnight 23 July 2021
If you have any questions about the role, please email [email protected] and quote reference MPI21/1548151
The Ministry for Primary Industries is committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values inclusion and diversity. Your unique talents and experience will help us deliver exceptional services to our communities in Aotearoa. In return you'll enjoy an inclusive and flexible working environment in a diverse team of people while you're growing your career here in NZ and internationally. We actively encourage applications from all backgrounds. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to tell us when you apply so that we can assist you through the recruitment process.