This Senior Legal Counsel is a key leadership role, responsible as part of the team for ensuring optimum organisational performance and delivery of some exciting service offerings for its members. Some excellent work has already been done, giving you a brilliant platform to take the organisation on the next step of its journey.
Reporting to the CEO, you will work as part of the senior leadership team to lead, plan, direct and co-ordinate the legal, advocacy, membership advisory and risk & compliance functions on behalf of the organisation. You’ll be able to engage external legal counsel for specialist matters when necessary.
This is no ordinary in-house legal role! There is a great deal of variety to keep you interested and challenged.
Day to day this includes the usual drafting and reviewing of legal opinions, contracts, risk mitigation and the like. Arguably, the more interesting work will come in the form of preparing and delivering submissions to legal and government bodies in support of industry regulatory change, with submissions to the relevant government ministers and select committees a somewhat common aspect of the role (and with excellent success to date!)
You and your team will also provide some advocacy and support for members in the form of advisory services, training, presentations and the like, so your strong interpersonal skills will be well utilised.
To be successful in this role you will need:
- Tertiary qualifications in New Zealand Law
- A specialist understanding of Property Law and solid generalist understanding of Contractual Law and other legislation.
- Well-developed commercial acumen, great interpersonal skills and the willingness to present to groups including government officials
- Experience leading a legal function and mentoring others
- Ideally experience in in-house general counsel roles as part of a senior leadership team
We are seeking interest from those with at least 8-10+ years general practice experience. Given the industry sector, property law experience and a strong understanding of the buy/sell relationship is fundamental to your success.
In return, you get to work with a great bunch of passionate people, in an organisation that has a very clear strategy and an emphasis on providing product and service innovation. This role could potentially be managed in four days per week if that appeals.
Are you ready to make the move to a sector of the market that is still tracking really well post all the challenges that 2020 has thrown up? Please call Donna Miller | Partner | Bureau | ph 021 680318 or 09 213 0845 for more information or apply through Seek now. Click here.
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in New Zealand?
- How many years' experience do you have as a legal counsel?
- How many years' experience do you have in property law?