- Part time (Auckland or Wellington), full time (Auckland)
- 5+ QPE
- Medico-legal experience advantageous
The purpose of the Health and Disability Commissioner (HDC) is to promote and protect health and disability consumers’ rights and to facilitate the fair and efficient resolution of complaints relating to infringements of those rights.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the HDC legal team as a Senior Legal Advisor based in either our Auckland or Wellington office. One full time position is based in Auckland CBD. One part time (20 hours) position can be based in either Auckland or Wellington CBD.
The legal team is a collegial and high performing team, which undertakes a wide variety of legal and policy work, including in relation to the Health and Disability Commissioner’s complaints resolution jurisdiction.
To succeed in this role, you will need:
- At least five years post-admission experience as a barrister and solicitor.
- An excellent academic record.
- A sound knowledge of health care law, public law generally and administrative law in particular.
- A well developed understanding of policy issues affecting the interests of health and disability services consumers.
- Ability to work collaboratively within a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including oral skills.
- A demonstrated ability to handle complex cases and meet deadlines.
- Excellent research and writing skills.
- Sound judgement and analytical ability.
- Ability to work with a minimum of supervision.
- A high level of initiative and self confidence.
HDC’s legal team is based in Wellington and if the successful candidate is Auckland based, they must be able to travel to Wellington as required.
All applicants must visit the HDC website and complete an online HDC application form to be considered. The position description and online application form can be found at:
E-mail enquiries to [email protected]
Applications for this role close at 4.30pm, Monday 23 November 2020.