The Medical Council of New Zealand is the regulator for doctors. They protect the public interest by registering doctors to practise medicine in New Zealand, setting standards, ensuring compliance with those standards and taking action where concerns are raised.
A fabulous opportunity for a confident and articulate communicator with analytical skills and a high degree of initiative has arisen to join this busy, high performing, vibrant legal team.
We are currently looking for an experienced senior solicitor to be our Senior Legal Adviser in our in-house legal team. As our Senior Legal Adviser, you will utilise your skills to provide legal advice to Professional Conduct Committees (PCC) investigating concerns about the conduct of doctors. Reviewing and evaluating case management issues, you’ll confidently provide sound legal advice, as well as guiding and influencing decision-making. You will be familiar with principles of natural justice, comfortable identifying issues and risks, and advising on how best to mitigate these risks.
A successful candidate will have ample litigation experience, as you will be required to prepare cases for prosecution, and on occasion appear on behalf of a PCC in hearings of the Health Practitioners Disciplinary Tribunal.
Your ability to identify opportunities for the Medical Council to improve its delivery of regulatory functions, including recommendations for changes to policy, procedure, and training will also be greatly valued.
This is a role that will offer interesting, varied and challenging work. You will be self-directed in your approach to your work, able to think on your feet and enjoy a laid back, professional and collegial work environment.
Ideal Person Profile:
- 3+ years of hands-on litigation experience
- Knowledge and experience of the prosecutions process, case law, court procedures and Tribunal processes
- Experience in the health sector and/ or medical law would be advantageous
- Well-developed communication skills with the ability to produce high quality written work
- First class administration and organisation skills with a keen eye for detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a strong commitment to delivering excellent customer service and the ability to deal with difficult situations
- Flexible with strong initiative and problem solving capabilities
- Able to demonstrate integrity and impartiality
- Professional and displays emotional maturity
- Committed to learning and high quality work
- Good working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite of programmes
- Enthusiasm and a great attitude
- A qualified lawyer holding a current practising certificate (preferably 5 years PQE and above)
Does this sound like you? For more information or for a copy of the position description, please contact Gabby Jeune (HR Adviser) at firstname.lastname@example.org.