The Whangarei District Council is seeking a talented lawyer with strong experience within an in‑house public sector environment to work as part of the legal team in our Democracy and Assurance Department.
The successful candidate will work directly with members of the strategic and operational leadership teams and with external counsel providing advice and related services on varied and often challenging legal matters. They will also assist Council with document execution, ensure that Council complies with all relevant Local Government legislation and managers are kept up to date with legislative changes that affect their areas of responsibility.
As one of two internal legal counsel, your primary areas of focus will include:
- Local Government law
- Commercial law (including contracts and procurement)
- Claims and litigation (management relating to areas of focus)
- Property law (including leases and licences)
- Building and construction law
- Joint oversight of the LGOIMA process
The candidate successful in securing this position will be able to demonstrate all attributes identified within the position summary which include:
- LLB qualification with current practising certificate
- Knowledge of Local Government legislation and other relevant legislation
- Sound understanding of local government systems and processes
- Ability to provide advice around legal risk identifying options that are both innovative and practical
- Experience in mediation and dispute resolution
- Ability to communicate complex information with a varied and broad range of stakeholders
- Ability to work and meet deadlines in a dynamic and changing environment
- Ability to influence others through development of strong working relationships and provision of clear well thought out advice.
If you can demonstrate that you are flexible, technically competent, experienced in working with a diverse range of people on complex legal issues of people and proactive in your approach to service delivery we would love to hear from you.
We offer a professional and progressive environment, continuous learning and development opportunities, a range of flexible working and work/life balance options, Health Insurance, Life Insurance (2x base salary), payment of a professional membership, an active Social Club, plus much more.
To apply for this position, go to http://careers.wdc.govt.nz or click here.
Applications close 5pm Monday, 10 August 2020.