Our core ethical values are respect, responsibility, fairness, integrity, and empathy. These core ethical values are demonstrated in our commitment to sustainability, wellbeing, inclusivity, equity, diversity, collegiality, and openness. With, and as, tangata whenua, we value Te Tiriti o Waitangi, rangatiratanga, manaakitanga, kaitiakitanga, whai mātauranga, whanaungatanga, and akoranga.
- Legal Counsel, permanent role, full-time
- Are you a qualified lawyer capable of contributing strategic and operational legal advice?
- Can you thrive in an energetic and changing work environment?
We are seeking an outstanding lawyer to join our Legal Services team in providing strategic and operational legal advice on a wide range of issues across the University. Reporting to the Senior Legal Counsel, you will also work closely with senior management and assist with various day-to-day legal matters (including, in particular, property and construction as well as commercial and public law, contract drafting and negotiation, statutory interpretation and advice, and intellectual property).
You will join a team whose vision is to enable the University to reduce complexity and to be trusted, valued and respected advisors. You will assist the team to present solutions, solve problems and provide efficient and pragmatic legal advice.
In addition to embodying this vision, the successful applicant will have the following:
- Relevant tertiary legal qualifications.
- Excellent commercial acumen and proven experience working successfully in a busy team environment
- A current New Zealand practising certificate as a Barrister and Solicitor (or ability to obtain one)
- Experience in advising on a wide range of legal matters with a particular focus on property law
- Proven understanding of legal principles and practices with experience of providing practical advice to organisational leaders and managers
- Proven experience in managing relationships and ability to persuade and influence others
- Ability to maintain high standards of professionalism and objectivity
- Demonstrated high levels of oral and written communication skill
If you are a pragmatic commercial lawyer and want to be part of a challenging and stimulating work environment where no two days are the same, then this is the role for you. While this is a full-time role, flexible arrangements can be considered.
For more information please contact Natasha Caldwell at firstname.lastname@example.org but applicants should follow the steps below.
Important - how to apply
Click the 'Apply' button at base of advert, follow the process to enter your contact details and add your CV and cover letter in the online form.
Download and complete the University Application Form.
Email completed application form to email@example.com along with any further supporting documents stating the reference number and position title from the advert in the subject line.
Applications close Wednesday, 17 June 2020.