- Join a friendly team in a flexible, collaborative working environment
- Support to hone your skills across a broad range of legal practice areas
- Opportunity to shape our legal and compliance function
At Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei Trust you’re not just an employee, you’re part of something bigger - we’re the kaitiaki of Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei assets which we manage to ensure the cultural, commercial, and social development of our people. We lead from the front through good governance, transparent decision-making, and working collaboratively with our marae and subsidiaries Whai Maia and Whai Rawa, on behalf of our people.
An exciting greenfield opportunity to join the General Counsel in establishing an in-house legal function in an innovative iwi organisation doing great things for its people and for Tāmaki Makaurau. You will be part of a high performing cross functional team based in central Auckland.
Your key accountabilities:
- The organisation - contributing to the delivery of our strategic priorities and plans and achievement of our vision for our people - kia rere te kāhu pōkere ki ngā taumata tiketike (to soar and fly to the highest heights)
- The team - contributing to our team performance and culture
- The legal function - contributing to the set-up of our legal and compliance function and associated systems and processes
- Trusted partner - understanding our ambitions and drivers for our organisation and our people and providing top notch right sized, risk based legal and governance advice
- Stakeholders - establishing effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including whānau
- External legal resource - managing our external lawyer relationships to deliver value
- Lifting capability - delivering training and insights across the organisation
This is a permanent full-time role based in central Auckland. However, we are open to flexibility across both location and hours of work.
What we’re looking for:
Qualifications and experience:
- LLB or equivalent
- Current New Zealand practising certificate
- Between 3 - 7 years’ post-admission experience in private practice and/or in-house
- You are either a general practitioner or a specialist keen to develop broader expertise across a range of practice areas (with support)
- Experience in innovation in delivery of the legal function, and systems and process improvement would be an advantage
Skills and competencies:
- Outcome-focused, has the ability to blend legal knowledge with commercial savvy to achieve pragmatic solutions
- Strategic and innovative thinking, develops understanding of our priorities and drivers to innovatively deliver what really matters
- Relationship builder, develops strong productive relationships at all levels to collaboratively deliver outcomes
- Influencer, collaborates with stakeholders to gain support and commitment to continuous improvement and lasting change
- Strong emotional intelligence and empathy, and good communication skills - at ease with translating legal expertise for people from all walks of life
- An understanding of te ao Māori and fluency in te reo Māori would be an advantage, but not essential (a willingness to learn is essential)
At Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei Trust you will join a high performing cross functional team and will work closely with our General Counsel to provide advice and support on all legal, compliance, and governance matters for the Trust. In exchange for your high energy and empathy, we can offer you a fun, supportive team environment and a competitive package. We value connection and a willingness to learn as we work to build our legal and compliance function to help achieve our aspirations for our people and organisation.
Visit us at: www.ngatiwhatuaorakei.com
How do I apply?
We’d love to hear from you. Please click here to submit your resume and cover letter through Seek.
For more information about the role and team please contact Natasha Strong, the Trust’s General Counsel, on: [email protected]