Genesis, the electricity sector, and the wider energy industry are experiencing fundamental change as New Zealand transitions to a low emissions economy and seeks to meet the challenges that this entails, both now and in the future. We see a future where homes and businesses increasingly generate, store, use and share their own energy - as digital applications, mobility, smart appliances, low-cost solar and battery technology, converge to make this possible. These changes put the customer in charge. To succeed in this environment, Genesis works alongside its customers to help them better manage their energy use, control their costs, and lower their environmental impact.
About the role:
Due to the ever-changing needs and complexity of our business, we now have an exciting opportunity for a Junior Legal Counsel to join our Corporate Affairs team. This role will see you working with a small team of experienced internal Legal and Senior Legal Counsel's, to provide strategic, timely and efficient legal advice to support the commercial requirements of the business and to ensure compliance with legal, regulatory, and contractual obligations. You will get to work autonomously on a variety of projects and BAU work, and delegated tasks with guidance from your team and people leader.
- Reviewing, drafting, and negotiating a range of general commercial contracts and other legal documentation (across retail markets, supply chain management, finance, operations, and generation).
- Providing tailored legal advice and supporting the legal team on a broad range of issues including general commercial and technology contracts, consumer law (product launch, service propositions and marketing), privacy, data protection, litigation and mergers and acquisitions.
- Providing advice on relevant legislation, including industry regulations relating to the electricity markets and NZX.
- Providing advice on legal issues arising in connection with corporate/commercial business transactions and projects.
- Instructing external legal counsel as required.
- Keeping abreast of changes in law and attending relevant continuing legal and commercial education programmes.
- 2-3 years' PQE, with recent private practice training and experience.
- Experience of legal issues encountered by large commercial entities / corporate environments.
- Strong communication skills with a proven ability to effectively navigate and communicate legal and business risk, in a way that builds trust and confidence and delivers positive commercial outcomes.
- An astute, proactive, commercially focused multi-tasker that is adaptable and has strong people skills who actively seeks to understand the key strategic drivers of a business and influence internal and external stakeholders.
- New Zealand LLB and current practising certificate.
This is a unique opportunity to join the energy company with New Zealand's most diverse portfolio of assets. The work environment is one where innovation and collaboration are encouraged and strategic thinkers who enjoy having a genuine input and impact on the success of the business will do well.
At our heart, we're a people company. The quality of our operational, safety and financial performance relies strongly on the well-being, capabilities and performance of our employees. Working here means you'll be part of a dynamic and diverse environment, working alongside committed and talented people, who are all encouraged to reach their full potential.
Our objective is to create and support an engaged culture by setting up our employees to succeed. We reward our staff with a strong remuneration and benefits package, a collaborative, fun culture, and ongoing development opportunities to name a few. There isn't a one size fits all, so talk to us today about what would make this role work for you.
Please note, we are relocating to Wynyard Quarter in mid-October.
Click here to apply.