- New Zealand’s leading home improvement and building supplies retailer
- Interesting and varied work within a high performing team
- A great way to develop your in-house legal career
As a result of our Legal Counsel heading off on 12 months’ maternity leave, we’re on the look out for a Legal Counsel to join the team on a 12 month fixed term basis from late July 2020.
This role is a great chance to leverage your growing corporate legal experience within New Zealand’s leading home improvement and building supplies business.
You will be someone who enjoys the challenges of commercial law, but is looking for a fast-paced role that balances in-house legal services with the opportunity to provide practical and strategic counsel and advice across the business.
Reporting to the Senior Legal Counsel and working within a high-performing Legal and Property team, you will provide proactive commercial legal advice to the Mitre 10 business, with a particular focus on retail law, procurement related matters, corporate governance and compliance.
There will be a strong emphasis on the drafting and negotiation of commercial contracts, including information technology, marketing and other procurement-related contracts. Providing the business with advice on consumer laws such as the Fair Trading Act, Consumer Guarantees Act, Commerce Act and Advertising Codes will be a core part of the role, together with corporate governance and company secretarial support for both the Mitre 10 and Hammer Hardware businesses.
What we’re looking for
- Qualified solicitor with a minimum of five years’ relevant legal experience gained in a reputable commercial law firm or in-house environment;
- Sound commercial contracts skills, including a deep understanding of the New Zealand commercial law environment;
- A genuine interest in business and a real appetite to learn and develop as an inhouse lawyer; and a
- Positive team player with a desire to learn new skills.
While our preference is for a full time team member, we are open to discussions around and flexible working arrangements (including part time) for the right candidate.
About Mitre 10
Mitre 10 (New Zealand) Limited has been in the New Zealand market for more than 40 years, and in that time, has developed a reputation that is synonymous with excellence, becoming the country’s leader in the home improvement market – helping NZers get it done right!
This is an excellent opportunity for you to work with a professional, values-based organisation with a fabulous team culture – and we have lovely premises in Albany on the North Shore, with free parking.
So, what are you waiting for? Please apply on-line with your CV and cover letter, along with an indication of salary expectations and any flexible working arrangements sought.