Lawyer - Wellington Based
Full time Permanent
An exciting opportunity has become available for a lawyer in our Professional Responsibility team based in Wellington.
You will provide legal advice to our investigation’s team, to the Council’s decision-making bodies, and for OIA and Privacy Act requests. Provide instructions to prosecuting lawyers in the Disciplinary Tribunal, undertake your own in-house prosecutions, draft decisions and letters, and deal with evidence objections and provide guidance on a fair and robust investigation process.
Skills and experience needed:
- Hold a current practicing certificate
- Proven experience (2-5 years) PQE as a lawyer, preferably with experience in a regulatory or litigation environment.
- A demonstrated ability to ensure timely, high quality legal advice.
- Excellent communication with stakeholders.
- Ability to working effectively in a diverse workplace with strong commitment to the te tiriti o Waitangi.
The Teaching Council is a professional body representing teachers from early childhood education through primary and secondary schooling in English and Māori medium schools. We provide leadership and help strengthen the regulatory framework and disciplinary regime for teaching. We aim to boost the status of teaching, strengthening accountability and bringing consistently high standards of teaching across the profession.
If you are looking for an opportunity to develop new skills and want to work in a supportive and vibrant environment, please apply today via SEEK.
Closing date Sunday 5 April 2020
For a copy of the Job Description, please visit https://teachingcouncil.nz/vacancies
Please note, you must have a legal right to work in New Zealand.
Successful appointment is conditional upon police vetting and psychometric testing.