Trade Me is New Zealand's most influential ecommerce platform, and as quintessentially Kiwi as you can get. We have a unique and rare opportunity for a commercially astute, senior legal professional ready to make the move into a role with responsibilities of a General Counsel.
As our Head of Legal, Regulatory and Risk at Trade Me, you'll play the crucial role of ensuring high quality corporate governance, appropriate risk management and the delivery of pragmatic legal advice to our business and its people.
Each day brings fresh challenges, but here's a snapshot of the key responsibilities. In this role you will:
- Have overall responsibility for the provision of expert pragmatic legal advice to the Trade Me board, Executive team and broader business - and work as a liaison between the two groups as necessary.
- Ensure the smooth running of meeting schedules for Trade Me's parent Board and its specialist subcommittees and supporting the production of Board and committee papers, and preparing and distributing minutes and action points.
- Coach, mentor and lead a small high performing team.
- Have and/or develop trusted relationships with external legal advisers and government authorities.
- Help set the direction, and drive change and improvements across your area of remit - including both big changes derived from your long-term vision as well as constant day to day operational improvements.
- Manage a large variety of work; with a bias towards privacy and data, commerce act, competition, IP and general contract work. This is not a back office role, it's well and truly front and center, partnering with business and delivering great customer outcomes.
- Be across proposed regulatory changes to determine the impact on the company and our members and you’ll work with others to prepare submissions.
- And…whatever else you need or want to do that furthers our primary ambition of building and running great online businesses.
So far so good? What we're looking for from you is:
- Exceptional experience in a variety of senior legal roles, preferably within an ecommerce or technology environment.
- A very high degree of integrity and responsibility, who is eager for a fresh challenge within a truly diverse, kiwi organisation.
- An inspirational leader, with experience managing a team, managing workflow and motivating people. You really care about people. You communicate well and include a human element in your decision-making.
- Commercially astute approach and someone easily able to grasp and contribute to our wider business imperatives.
- Energetic and optimistic - while you may not be a full-on extrovert, you need to be able to inject energy into your surroundings, and inspire those around you!
- Naturally focussed on solutions, and will be good at balancing strong theory with practical application.
- An outstanding communicator and a good team player, with the ability to gain the respect and trust of people of all different skill-sets and levels of seniority.
Here's why you'll love life at Trade Me:
- We are embarking on a significant and exciting transformation - with new owners and a new CEO, it's a super-exciting time.
- You'll be part of our senior leadership team and have the chance to make positive change across the breadth of the organisation.
- You'll have the opportunity to enable and support our continued business expansion and profitable growth.
- We truly value our people and want you to succeed here, so we offer flexible working, bonuses, access to wellness leave and initiatives, plus a bunch of other good stuff.
We're a fun, vibrant, and fast-moving place to work, and we're looking for someone who'll thrive in this environment. If this is the challenge you're looking for, apply now. This role will be based in Wellington, New Zealand.