Trade Me - Senior Legal Counsel
(Fixed Term, 14 Months)
At Trade Me, we are about connecting Kiwi to create the life they want. Whether it is the big things like finding a home, a job, a car or growing their business, or the smaller things, like finding that right bedside table or parting ways with some old stuff. Trade Me is where Kiwi look first.
Our Finance, Legal & Strategy division based in Wellington is looking for a talented Senior Legal Counsel to join the Legal team. Reporting to the Head of Legal, Regulatory & Risk, you will provide high quality and pragmatic legal advice to our business and its people.
This is a fixed term role for a period of 14 months to cover parental leave and can be based in either Wellington, Christchurch or Auckland. The start date for the role is ideally February or early March 2024 (but may be flexible).
You'll have the best time working at Trade Me, and this is why:
Flexibility means different things to different people and we support you to find what works, including a home office set up and utilities allowance.
Being your best self means caring for your physical and mental wellbeing, we offer lots of resources to help you along the way.
We support you with leave when you need it, including 5 days of wellness leave each year and 10 days of sick leave from day 1.
Nothing beats getting together to have some fun and celebrate our success. Join us in the office on payday for company paid lunches. Regular Friday drinks and nibbles, annual Trade Me company awards, celebrations and more.
You'll be part of a small high performing Legal team and have the chance to make positive change across the breadth of the organisation.
Here's what you can expect from this role:
* Managing a large variety of work with a bias towards; technology, privacy and data, competition, consumer, fair trading, intellectual property, company secretarial and general contract work;
* Working with a range of internal and external stakeholders;
* Reviewing and developing Trade Me's processes to align with best practice;
* Partnering with the business to deliver great customer outcomes
* Creating and maintaining robust legal templates and processes as key business tools and controls; and
* General legal advice supporting the strategic objectives of the business including (but not exclusively) intellectual property, procurement and supply chain, marketing/advertising, commercial contracts and sales.
What you will bring to our team:
* Bachelor of Laws;
* Ideally at least 8 years' PQE practising in relevant areas of commercial law; preferably within an ecommerce or technology environment.
* Admitted as a Barrister & Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand;
New Zealand Practising Certificate;
* Legal experience in private practice and in house (with medium to large sized organisations) is highly desirable; and
* Privacy, ICT and / or Commerce Act (competition, consumer, fair trading) experience advantageous.
* A very high degree of integrity and responsibility, eager for a fresh challenge within a truly diverse, Kiwi organisation.
* A commercially astute approach and someone easily able to grasp and contribute to our wider business imperatives.
* Naturally focussed on solutions, and will be good at balancing strong theory with practical application.
* An outstanding communicator and a good team player, with the ability to gain the respect and trust of people of all different skill-sets and levels of seniority.
Please note our advertisements use PQE levels purely as a guide. We are happy to consider applications from all candidates with the skills necessary to fulfil the role.
We know some candidates can be reluctant to apply for roles if they feel they don't ‘tick all the boxes’. If you’re excited about this opportunity, we'd still really like to hear from you.
Trade Me is an INZ accredited employer. We truly value diversity and embrace a flexible workplace where people are encouraged to achieve their potential.
We're a fun, vibrant, and fast-moving place to work, and we're looking for someone who'll thrive in this environment. If this is the challenge you're looking for, apply now. Please apply through this link and please include a cover letter and CV.
Apply now for this role or get more information by contacting Saralyn Compton, Senior Talent Acquisition Partner, Trade Me - [email protected]