Te Whiwhinga Mahi - The opportunity
We are looking for a Principal Solicitor with significant public law experience, to support ACC's vision of a thriving Aotearoa, driven by a purpose of improving lives every day. In this role, you will lead advice on complex strategic and operational matters relating to the running of the Accident Compensation Scheme, ACC public law obligations, policy development, and legislative changes. This position can be based in Wellington or Auckland.
To view a detailed position description, please click here.
Ko waikoe - About you
We're looking for a team player with exceptional communication skills, who can build strong relationships and work collaboratively. Someone who can focus on the big issues and provide simple, solutions-focused advice will fit well with us. You will be comfortable advising in a large Crown Entity with a diverse range of stakeholders, whether it be leading specialist legal projects or delivering specialist legal advice on business-led projects.
To be successful in this role, you will have the following:
- Experience in proactively building relationships with a diverse range of key stakeholders to gain an understanding of the strategic context, support greater visibility of the pipeline of work, and enable proactive legal thinking
- Experience in leading, coaching, and mentoring a team of in-house lawyers
- A tertiary qualification in law, a current New Zealand Law Society practicing certificate, and significant post-qualification experience, with strong experience in public law, statutory interpretation, policy development and legislative changes, and the machinery of Government
- Experience in highly regulated, health sector, and Crown Entities will be an advantage
- Knowledge of, or a willingness to gain an understanding of Te Ao Māori and promote tikanga and Te Reo Māori. You will also have knowledge of, or a willingness to gain an appreciation of Te Tiriti o Waitangi / the Treaty of Waitangi as it applies in the public sector
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, problem-solving and time management skills, and a high level of initiative and self-motivation
Working at ACC
We know that a diverse and inclusive team helps us meet the needs of our customers and we welcome candidates from every ethnicity, national origin, gender identity, age, and those with a disability or who have additional mental health needs. It is important to us that people are free to be themselves at work.
Here are some ways we encourage that:
- Employee networks to support our colleagues from diverse backgrounds
- The option to explore flexible working that suits your needs and ours
- Development opportunities in te reo Māori me ngā tikanga
The appointing salary range for this role is $137,401 - $161,648 with an appointment depending on skills and experience and internal relativities. ACC also offers 9% superannuation. In addition to a competitive salary package we offer, career development, annual health checks and flu vaccination, discounts on Southern Cross health insurance, gym membership discounts, and retail discounts.
Ra Katinga - Applications
If this sounds like the opportunity for you, apply now by submitting your CV and cover letter through our ACC careers website - CLICK HERE.
Applications close at 9am Monday, 4 December 2023.
We intend to interview later that week.
If you encounter accessibility issues when submitting your application, or if you would like further information, please contact [email protected]