Wētā FX is the standard-bearer for creativity and innovation in visual effects and animation, attracting talent, partners, and clients that seek to push what is possible in pursuit of their artistic vision. Along the way, our ground-breaking work has earned six visual effects Academy Awards®, 12 Academy Sci-Tech Awards and six visual effects BAFTA Awards in addition to the 34 Visual Effects Society Awards awarded to us by our peers.
Based in Wellington, New Zealand, some of our most recent work can be seen in projects such as The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power, The Batman, Avatar 2: The Way of Water, and Marvel's Thor: Love and Thunder.
We have an exciting opportunity for an outstanding lawyer to join our dynamic team.
In this Legal Counsel role, you will report into the Head of Business Affairs and will be responsible for providing commercial legal advice and services to Wētā FX and its global subsidiaries.
The successful candidate will be a diligent, pragmatic, proactive and passionate individual with excellent business judgment and critical thinking, and with the ability to work independently in a fast-paced industry.
Your responsibilities will include:
- preparing and reviewing variety of commercial contracts across the business
- assisting in employment related matters and provide advice where necessary
- reviewing and advising on internal policies and compliance matters
- review and management of NDAs and other routine agreements
- preparing draft reporting and other documentation for Head of Business Affairs
The successful candidate will have the following attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree in Law (LLB)
- 1-7 years’ PQE, with private practice and/or high quality in-house experience
- Commercial contracts experience with a strong understanding of corporate and intellectual property law
- Ability to partner with colleagues at all levels. Strong interpersonal and communication skills essential.
- Exposure to media, tech and/or visual effects industries a plus
- Robust but nimble personality, with a willingness and ability to learn and adapt quickly.
- Ability to navigate multiple jurisdictions (including New Zealand, Canada, Australia and United States).
If this sounds like the right professional and personal fit for you, we would love to hear from you!
Please submit your cover letter and resume via the job listing here.
Wētā FX is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate our diversity and believe in creating an environment where all our crew feel welcomed, respected, supported and appreciated.
Each applicant will need to provide a writing sample as part of the recruitment process.
All applications will be treated with full confidentiality