Legal Counsel - Gisborne District Council
About the role - Fulltime or Part-time
You will act as an adviser to Elected Members, the Chief Executive, the Executive Leadership Team, Senior Managers and Council staff on legal, strategic, governance, commercial and risk management issues to assist the Council in achieving its strategic goals.
This is a rare opportunity to be part of a busy in-house legal team and make a difference to the community. This is a role that you will be able to shape and profile yourself within the organisation. Work-life balance is important to the team and the organisation.
You’ll also recognise the importance of the role as a Treaty partner and understand how that underpins Gisborne District Council’s work.
- Provide legal advice to the Chief Executive, Executive Leadership Team., Senior Managers, Council staff and Councilors
- Manage external legal providers to ensure appropriate performance and delivery.
- Support good governance and democracy through robust legal advice on governance matters.
- Educate and inform others to improve Council knowledge and performance on legal issues and procedures.
Skills & experience
- LLB or higher
- Proven experience in private practice or an in-house environment
- Experience in contracts, Local Government, public, commercial and/or resource management law is highly desirable.
- Flexible on start and finish times
- Free carparking, laptop, phone, secure bike racks.
- Ability to work from home.
- Allocated training budget for career development
- Relocation assistance
About the organisation
Here at Gisborne District Council, we pull our values from the community we serve. We work hard together to make our people proud, and our whanau are why we are so passionate about what we do! You will be joining a team of 370 people, and a business that values its employees!
How to apply
We will start the process when suitable candidates apply, please submit a resume / cover letter.
Click apply on the seek ad here or contact Nathan Pattison on 021 279 4390 for a confidential discussion.
Applications close December 22nd, 2022