Team Manager Public Law, MSD Legal - Wellington
This is an opportunity to lead the team of lawyers supporting the Ministry of Social Development’s legislative and regulatory programme. The Team Manager is a challenging but rewarding role, with the successful applicant contributing to the Ministry’s purpose of helping New Zealanders be safe strong and independent.
About Ministry of Social Development
The Ministry of Social Development (MSD) is the lead agency for the social sector. We help the Government to set priorities across the sector, co-ordinate the actions of other social sector agencies and track changes in the social wellbeing of New Zealanders.
About MSD Legal
MSD Legal is MSD’s in-house provider of professional legal advice, advocacy, and services to all areas of the Ministry.
About the Role
This is a senior role reporting directly to the Chief Legal Advisor and is part of a collaborative and tightly knit senior management team. The purpose of the Team Manager is to lead and manage a team providing legal advice and legal support services, and assist in providing strategic leadership across Legal Services.
- Proven ability to provide leadership of a legal or other professional team at a senior level
- In depth knowledge of and experience in New Zealand government legislative and policy processes
- Skilled at providing legal advice at a senior level
- Awareness and understanding of Treaty obligations and Partnership issues
- Proven record of managing strategies and teams in a complex and demanding environment
- Excellent relationship and people management skills
- Qualified barrister and solicitor with a current practising certificate
If you would like to know more about this role or want to have a private chat before applying please contact Rupert Ablett-Hampson, Chief Legal Advisor on Rupert.Ablett-Hampson003@msd.govt.nz
How to apply
If this sounds like you, please apply online with your CV and cover letter. Your cover letter will be a key part of our assessment process, so please highlight how your experience relates to the Position Description.
Internal MSD Employees – please apply through your myHR portal at work. This will ensure that your myHR employee profile is visible as internal candidate.
External Candidates – (including Ministry of Children employees) must apply directly through our MSD careers page at https://jobs.msd.govt.nz
Closing date: 19 November 2018