Solicitor, Litigation - Gisborne
Job ID: 25395
- Join our Ministry and influence change for all New Zealanders.
- Improve outcomes for children.
Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children, is the Ministry that supports children and young people in New Zealand. Oranga Tamariki works to advance the wellbeing and positive long-term outcomes of children and young people. In everything we do, the wellbeing and best-interests of children are paramount. The voices of children and young people underpin the design and operation of our services.
About the role:
A new legal team has been formed to support Oranga Tamariki to achieve the goal of all tamariki being in loving whānau and communities where Oranga Tamariki can be realised. The team is a central part of the business providing strategic advice across all work areas. We are seeking an experienced Solicitor to join our Legal Services team in Gisborne. You will be involved in providing high quality solution focused legal advice and advocacy services on the range of operational issues facing Oranga Tamariki.
The Litigation Solicitor will be responsible for providing support and assistance to Oranga Tamariki staff in the Gisborne region, and will be accountable for the conduct of litigation in the Family Court and at times in the Youth Court or other Tribunal and provide support in the management of legal issues and risk.
Skills and experience:
To be successful you will have:
- Been admitted as a Barrister and Solicitor in New Zealand and have (or be eligible for) a practicing certificate.
- Practical experience of at least two years providing advice to clients and in conducting litigation before Courts and Tribunals.
- Solid understanding of the justice system.
- Outstanding relationship management skills with the ability to promote the legal services team.
- Full drivers licence is essential as travel may be required as part of this role.
- A good working knowledge of the legislation applicable to this role would be an advantage.
What we offer:
We offer a dedicated and supportive team, flexible work options and the opportunity to apply your skills and experience to the wellbeing of tamariki.
How to apply:
Internal Oranga Tamariki Employees – please apply through your myHR portal at work. This will ensure that your myHR employee profile is visible as internal candidate.
All external applicants including MSD employees please apply through the apply button and upload your CV and cover letter. Please note all applications must be made online.
If this is not possible or if you have any questions please contact us through HR_recruit@ot.govt.nz
Applications close: Friday, 24 August 2018.
To view the Position Description, please click here: