Solicitor - Commercial Projects - Wellington
Two permanent opportunities available.
The Department of Corrections is New Zealand’s largest core government department. It faces complex challenges in managing a growing prison population, and many more people serving community-based sentences. Doing this in a way that protects the public, while also striving to rehabilitate and reintegrate people, requires the development and implementation of new ideas.
We are seeking 2 x experienced solicitors who are capable of supporting the innovation required for the Department to succeed in its mission. This will often mean not taking legal queries, proposals or problems at face value, and looking below the surface to ascertain what the real issues are and how they are best addressed.
One of the roles has a focus on major commercial contracts, including procurement, and will be based in our Commercial Services Group (while remaining an integral part of the wider Legal Services Unit). The contracts worked on are some of New Zealand’s biggest, so this is a great opportunity to develop your career in this area.
The other role is more generalist, with a focus on commercial law and is responsible for providing advice to our internal customers within our business. It also involves the provision of advice on other non-commercial areas of law impacting the Department, so provides great variety and scope for development.
As a solicitor in the Department, your advice will be constantly in demand. You will not be left wondering whether you are in a position to make a difference. The Department’s commercial law practice (both within the Commercial Services Group and more widely) is incredibly broad – from major high value high risk outsourcing contracts through to contracts for a diverse range of goods and services needed to meet the needs of our 24/7, 365 days a year operation. The practice also includes leasing and construction contract matters.
You will be intimately involved in solving specific problems, as well as working to tackle systemic problems and grasp opportunities.
To be successful in these positions you will need:
- Experience in commercial law.
- Competence in developing reasoning for and confidence to rigorously defend legal opinions
- Awareness of and responsiveness to the operational, cultural, political and social environment in which the Legal Services Unit and the Department of Corrections as a whole, operate.
- The ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with National Office staff, regional managers, prison managers and other external providers of legal services, in particular.
- The ability to plan and manage workloads and to prioritise and meet deadlines while maintaining high standards.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, tailored appropriately to the particular client and/or audience.
- Respect for Maori, Pacific peoples and ethnic minorities' values and beliefs, valuing diversity in the work place and promoting EEO.
We can offer you a stimulating and challenging role in an organisation working and moving forward together.
We are recruiting for “level 2” solicitors. These are not graduate positions and applicants should have a minimum of 3 years post-admission experience but will likely have more. We offer a competitive salary, to be determined by relevant skills and experience.
As part of your application, please provide a CV and covering letter outlining your suitability for the preferred role.
All applications must be submitted online via our recruitment system - please follow this link.
Applications close Sunday, 5 August 2018.