Senior/Trading Standards Officer - Wellington
- Do you hold a current valid qualification as a Trading Standards Officer?
- Are you looking for an opportunity for an interesting and challenging career and lifestyle in New Zealand?
- Would you want a role with a mixture of operational activities, enforcement and market surveillance that is technically stimulating and provide scope for personal development and initiative?
- Have you supervisory experience - can you set plans and targets for team members, monitor progress and deal with operational risks and challenges?
- Starting salary between NZD76,000 to NZD95,000. Permanent or Fixed Term Contract for up to 2 years based in West Auckland
Trading Standards is a dynamic operational unit within the Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment (MBIE). The main role for Trading Standards is around the responsibility for the system that makes sure measurements used in trade in New Zealand are accurate (for example: packaged goods, shop scales and fuel dispensers). Trading Standards is also responsible for ensuring consumer products are safe, for monitoring the quality of retail fuel and for Auctioneer, Motor Vehicle Trader and Qualified Swimming Pool Inspector national registration schemes.
Trading Standards functions are implemented at a national level by teams based in Wellington, Auckland and Christchurch offices and the service also maintains accredited metrology testing laboratories at each location. We also hold ISO 9000 certification for our quality management system and ISO 17025 accreditation for our metrology laboratories.
We are looking to fill a position for a qualified officer. Ideally we are interested in an experienced Trading Standards practitioner to undertake a senior role within the team as well as maintaining day to day operational duties.
This Senior TSO position would entail day to day supervision of field staff, oversight of a small operational team together with a significant mentoring role. The successful applicant will play a role by contributing to the overall management of the service and work to support more senior corporate managers.
How to apply
Click here in order to be directed to our online careers website. You may view a position description at this site, as well as complete the online application, and upload a CV and cover letter. For tracking and evaluation purposes, all applications must be submitted via our on-line process.
For an informal discussion about these posts please contact Phil Sorrell; Team Leader Compliance and Inspection at Phil.Sorrell@mbie.govt.nz or Martin Rushton; Team Leader Principal Advisor Safety and Technical at Martin.Rushton@mbie.govt.nz.
The closing date for the receipt of completed application forms is 31 January 2019. Interviews for these posts will be held in February.