Senior Solicitor / Associate, Tax Controversy - Auckland
Our Tax Controversy and Policy team provides an end-to-end tax controversy service. We are looking for a Senior Solicitor or Associate to join our team.
The role is extremely varied. As a Senior Solicitor / Associate you will be advising clients on a broad range of tax matters with a focus on the technical and tactical management for issues involving all types of tax, including transfer pricing and the anti-avoidance rules. You will also assist clients with transactional tax advice, tax risk assessments, tax planning and restructuring.
Your key responsibilities
Drawing on your tax experience, in your role as a Senior Solicitor / Associate you’ll:
- Handle, assess and mitigate tax risk for our clients.
- Manage tax disputes and other contentious tax matters (including audits, disputes and litigation).
- Research, analyse and provide high quality advice.
- Manage tax risk by seeking binding rulings and indicative views from Inland Revenue, making voluntary disclosures and using other tax risk mitigation techniques.
- Keep up to date with the latest tax developments and develop thought leadership - identifying relevant issues for our clients and deliver that information to them in a comprehensive and comprehensible manner.
- Work with both existing and new clients to help build a distinctive client experience and relationships.
Skills and attributes for success
- Tax technical skills
- Ability to develop strong and broad relationships with clients and provide a high level of client service
- Ability to work with a number of different clients and internal stakeholders on multiple deadlines
To qualify for the role you must
- Be admitted to the New Zealand High Court as a barrister and solicitor
- Ideally, have experience in a Big 4 Accounting firm in tax compliance and reporting, and / or tax advisory
- Have problem solving abilities and a focus on solutions
- Willingness to learn and get involved in a range of cutting edge projects
- Have a ddemonstrated ability to assimilate complex tax concepts into everyday business language.
What we look for
We’re interested in leaders with a genuine creative vision and the confidence to make it happen. You can expect plenty of autonomy in this role, so you’ll also need the ability to take initiative and seek out opportunities to improve our current relationships and processes. If you’re serious about tax controversy and ready to take on some of our clients’ most complex issues, this role is for you.
What working at EY Law offers
We offer a competitive remuneration package where you’ll be rewarded for your individual and team performance. Our comprehensive Total Rewards package includes support for flexible working and career development, and with FlexEY you can select benefits that suit your needs, covering holidays, health and well-being, insurance, savings and a wide range of discounts, offers and promotions. Plus, we offer:
- Support, coaching and feedback from some of the most engaging colleagues around
- Opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
- The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that’s right for you
EY is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements. We strive to achieve the right balance for our people, enabling us to deliver excellent client service whilst allowing you to build your career without sacrificing your personal priorities. While our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, our flexible working arrangements can help you to achieve a lifestyle balance.
Globally, EY Law comprises 1,800 lawyers across over 60 jurisdictions. We support clients in navigating a business environment that is increasingly global and complex. Our lawyers provide integrated, commercially-focused advice aimed at reducing legal and other risks. We don’t advise in a vacuum. Our people deliver legally sound solutions that also meet our clients’ strategic and commercial objectives.
Our Law network brings together legal specialists around the world, and is continuing to grow at a rapid rate. Our Tax Controversy team have years of experience between them, delivering a focused and specialised Tax Controversy service in New Zealand. Involved in diverse and rewarding cases, they undertake complex tax technical work with a focus on contentious and potentially contentious tax matters through risk assessment, audits, tax disputes, settlement negotiations and litigation. Other work includes legal opinions, tax due diligence, document/ information flow management with regulators, transfer pricing disputes and multi-national audits.
Make your mark.