Senior Legal Counsel Regulatory - NZTA - Wellington or Auckland
Be part of a strong in-house legal team
Opportunity for a developing leader who is a go-to person on technical matters
Wellington or Auckland based
At the NZ Transport Agency, it all starts with our people. The organisation's performance and success depends on the people who choose to make this a great place to work and make a difference for New Zealand. The Transport Agency has a strong future focus, understanding that new technologies and changing customer expectations mean the transport system we know today will not be the one we deliver in ten years’ time.
The Legal Team is here to enable the Agency to meet its strategic objectives by providing solution-focused legal advice and to help the Agency mitigate its legal risks.
As Senior Legal Counsel, Regulatory, you will report to the General Counsel, Regulatory and be responsible for providing legal advice across aspects of the regulatory system, including legislative development, drafting rules, advice on the monitoring and enforcement of regulation, appeals and prosecutions.
You will be an innovative thinker who thinks beyond the issue at hand and can set a clear strategic direction for the Agency while providing solution-focused advice. You will proactively identify legal risks and assist in the management of those risks.
This role operates within a complex stakeholder environment in the transport sector and you will proactively build relationships with other key government agencies to better understand the context we are working in and support knowledge sharing and leverage best practice thinking.
What you will bring
To be successful in this role, you will bring:
• Experience in managing many of the regulatory system related legal work in a complex organisation
• An understanding of the public and administrative law overlay that applies to a Crown Entity
• 5+ years post qualification experience
• Innovative thinking that looks beyond the issue at hand and sets a clear strategic direction for the Agency and provide solution-focused advice
• The ability to connect effectively with colleagues in an environment where there is overlap between the work that the teams do
• A growth mindset and collaborative working style
• A strong customer-focus
• An ability to provide proactive and solution-focused advice that is simple, pragmatic and practical
• Excellent communication and relationship building skills
• A tertiary law qualification
• A current New Zealand Law Society Practising Certificate
Applications close Sunday 28 April 2019
For a copy of the position description: www.nzta.govt.nz/careers
For further information, email: email@example.com
To be considered for this position you must have a legal right to live and work in New Zealand.