Senior Legal Counsel Environment - NZTA - Wellington or Auckland
Be part of a strong in-house legal team
Wellington or Auckland based
At the NZ Transport Agency, it all starts with our people. The organisation's performance and success depends on the people who choose to make this a great place to work and make a difference for New Zealand. The Transport Agency has a strong future focus, understanding that new technologies and changing customer expectations mean the transport system we know today will not be the one we deliver in ten years’ time.
The Legal Team is here to enable the Agency to meet its strategic objectives by providing solution focused legal advice and to help the Agency comply with the law and mitigate its legal risks.
As Senior Legal Counsel, Environment & RMA, you will report to the General Counsel, Environment & RMA and be responsible for providing legal advice on our large Public Works Act acquisition and disposal programme, which is integral to our capital projects. This means getting involved at a strategic level to advise on and find solutions to complex acquisition and disposal negotiations. You will also provide strategic support to Public Works Act litigation, working alongside the General Counsel, Litigation.
In this role, your focus will be on complex and high-risk negotiations and litigation (rather than transactional drafting or conveyancing). You will be working closely with key internal and external stakeholders to identify both legal and commercial risks in an exciting and fast-paced environment. While the focus of this role is primarily in the Public Works Act and property space, you will also support the team in providing advice across all aspects of resource management and environmental law for the Transport Agency.
You will be an innovative thinker who thinks beyond the issue at hand and can set a clear strategic direction for the Agency while providing solution-focused advice. You will proactively identify legal risks and assist in the management of those risks.
This role operates within a complex stakeholder environment in the transport sector and you will proactively build relationships with other key government agencies to better understand the context we are working in and support knowledge sharing and leverage best practice thinking.
What you will bring
To be successful in this role, you will bring:
• Experience in managing Public Works Act and property negotiations and litigation
• Some resource management experience would be of value
• An understanding of the public and administrative law overlay that applies to a Crown Entity
• 5+ years post qualification experience
• Innovative thinking that looks beyond the issue at hand and sets a clear strategic direction for the Agency and provide solution-focused advice
• The ability to connect effectively with colleagues in an environment where there is overlap between the work that the teams do
• A growth mindset and collaborative working style
• A strong customer-focus
• An ability to provide proactive and solution-focused advice that is simple, pragmatic and practical
• Excellent communication and relationship building skills
• A tertiary law qualification
• A current New Zealand Law Society Practising Certificate
Applications close Sunday 28 April 2019
For a copy of the position description: www.nzta.govt.nz/careers
For further information, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To be considered for this position you must have a legal right to live and work in New Zealand.