Senior Legal Counsel (12m fixed term) - AIA - Auckland
AIA is proud to welcome Sovereign into the AIA Group. We are excited about the opportunity to significantly transform and expand our presence in the New Zealand market. We expect to deliver highly positive outcomes for our customers as well as our fantastic team of employees and advisers.
Reporting to the Head of Legal, you’ll play a key role in providing strategic, commercial and technical legal advice to the business.
Some of your key areas of responsibility will include:
- Reviewing, negotiating, drafting and settling contracts and other commercial arrangements to minimise risk and safeguard the organisation’s interests
- Providing technical advice and representation in relation to disputed or litigated claims and consumer complaints
- Reviewing the legal aspects of marketing, distribution and promotion materials
- Advising on new product and business initiatives including strategies, products and systems as well as changes to existing business
- Reviewing any proposed legislative changes to the insurance or financial services industry, and advising on the implications for the organisation
- Providing input to industry associations and regulatory bodies
- Evaluating and weighing and reporting the impacts of any decision or course of action and identify proactive solutions to eliminate or mitigate risks
- Advising on corporate structures as well as other business structures
- Manage any litigation and escalate issues to the Head of Legal or General Counsel as necessary
- Law degree (or combined law degree) and admission to practice law in New Zealand is essential
- Broad and practical knowledge and understanding of the New Zealand legal and regulatory environment as well as aspects of key international legislation impacting on business activities and financial services operations in particular
- Ideally you’ll have been practicing law for at least 8 years
- Working knowledge of insurance and/or financial services products and the financial services industry
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; confident communicator who is able to influence outcomes and build strong relationships
- Excellent interpretive and analytical skills to understand and assess the impact on the business, and practical implications and requirements of legal and regulatory requirements
- Highly developed commercial judgment and acumen
- The ability to manage legal risks holistically while driving business results and solutions
- Integrity with the courage to challenge when necessary
- Strong negotiation and stakeholder management skills with the ability to influence and build networks across the wider business and externally
As part of our stated commitment to diversity and inclusion, we cultivate a flexible and supportive work environment that meets the needs of our people and our business. We welcome applications for this role from candidates seeking flexible working arrangements.
Please use this link to apply - Applications close 26 July 2019.