Senior Legal Adviser - Wellington
OFFICE OF THE PRIVACY COMMISSIONER - Senior Legal Adviser
- Develop expertise in privacy law – a dynamic and important area
- Exciting opportunity to help implement the new Privacy Act
- Forward thinking, Crown regulator, located in Wellington CBD
The Office of the Privacy Commissioner are seeking an outstanding Lawyer to assist in the provision of expert legal and privacy advice across a wide range of issues and diverse tasks. Reporting to the General Counsel, in this permanent role you will help implement the new Privacy Act (that has new obligations and enforcement tools), including the review, issuing and drafting of Codes of Practice under the Act, and preparing guidance materials. Other functions include, researching, monitoring and reporting on overseas privacy law developments and assisting with litigation and prosecution functions.
The successful candidate will have at least 5 years PQE career experience in law, in the public or private sector; and ideally:
- Excellent legal and analytical skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience in providing practical high quality legal advice
- Experience in the interpretation and application of legislation
- Experience in the development and drafting of legislation
- Willing to become an expert in the Privacy Act
- Have a keen interest in the interactions between law and policy
- An interest in, or understanding of domestic and international privacy considerations
- An understanding of the principles of human rights and the Treaty of Waitangi
OPC is a small, friendly, close knit organisation that values staff and their development. You will be working in a progressive and innovative organisation at an exciting time given domestic and international developments in privacy law.
Applications close: Sunday 11 November 2018.
To apply or view the position description: https://www.madison.co.nz/job-search/details/88144/
For any further enquiries please contact Rachelle Russell or Koren Wilkinson of Madison Recruitment on 04 499 8055.
Please note all applications will be acknowledged electronically.