Regulatory Affairs Manager - Auckland
Sovereign is the country’s largest life insurer and one of New Zealand’s leading private health insurers, protecting more than 646,000 New Zealanders and their families. In the past financial year, Sovereign paid out more than $350 million to support New Zealanders through illness, allowing them to get access to the best treatment and ensuring their families can continue to pay the bills if the main income earner can’t work or unexpectedly dies. As an employer, Sovereign offers a flexible, inclusive and supportive working environment with opportunities for career growth. There are a wide range of job opportunities available from marketing and finance to technical underwriting and legal services.
Sovereign is no ordinary insurance company. We believe in being the difference in life's moments of truth for our customers. As a values based organisation we believe in putting people first. This not only means our customers but our staff and the community at large.
We currently have an exciting newly created opportunity for a Regulatory Affairs Manager to join and help develop a newly formed regulatory affairs team.
Reporting directly into the Head of Regulatory Affairs, you will play a key role in maintaining a collaborative relationship with our regulators, ensuring Sovereign is a guiding voice in the industry on key issues. You will be involved in all aspects of regulatory reform from analysing its impact on the business, working with a range of colleagues to plan and implement change programmes to ensure senior management and the wider business network is kept well-informed of impending reform.
Some of your key areas of responsibility will include:
- Building expert knowledge in key industry issues e.g. adviser regulation, prudential regulation and industry codes
- Develop and promote Sovereign’s positions on key issues in the wider industry
- Identify, analyse and help coordinate Sovereign’s response to Government policy, new regulation and regulator or industry body consultation requests
- Support the Government relations strategy to build relationships with government, regulators, industry stakeholders and officials to give Sovereign a clear and respected voice in our industry
- Represent Sovereign at key industry forums e.g. FSC, IFSO, HFANZ as required
- Plan and drive regulatory change programmes
- Liaise with Compliance to develop and maintain compliance processes to meet new or changing obligations
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with ELT and SLT colleagues
- Extensive financial services industry experience (preferably insurance)
- Strong experience and knowledge across legal, compliance and regulatory functions
- Ability to build relationships with senior stakeholders and represent our business professionally
- Knowledge or New Zealand government and parliamentary processes
- Relevant tertiary qualification (legal qualification preferred)
- Ability to work autonomously, take ownership and deliver pieces of work
- Research and information management skills and experience
- Relevant tertiary qualification (legal qualifications preferred – 5 PQE and above)
As part of our stated commitment to diversity and inclusion, we cultivate a flexible and supportive work environment that meets the needs of our people and our business. We welcome applications for this role from candidates seeking flexible working arrangements.
AIA is proud to welcome Sovereign into the AIA Group. We are excited about the opportunity to significantly transform and expand our presence in the New Zealand market. We expect to deliver highly positive outcomes for our customers as well as our fantastic team of employees and advisers.
If you have the above skills and experience, please apply!