Principal Counsel Regulatory - NZTA - Wellington or Auckland
Be part of a strong in-house legal team
Bring your experience in managing the legal risk profile of a large and complex environment
Wellington or Auckland based
At the NZ Transport Agency, it all starts with our people. The organisation's performance and success depends on the people who choose to make this a great place to work and make a difference for New Zealand. The Transport Agency has a strong future focus, understanding that new technologies and changing customer expectations mean the transport system we know today will not be the one we deliver in ten years’ time.
The Legal Team is here to enable the Agency to meet its strategic objectives by providing solution-focused legal advice and to help the Agency comply with the law and mitigate its legal risks.
The role of the Principal Counsel, Regulatory is to provide legal leadership across all aspects of the regulatory system, including legislative development, drafting rules, advice on the monitoring and enforcement of regulation, appeals and prosecutions. You will be responsible for providing specialist legal advice, either direct or outsourced.
As well as providing technical legal expertise, in this role you will support the General Counsel, Regulatory in the planning and delivery of the Regulatory Legal Team’s strategy and work programme and provide mentoring to the Senior and Legal Counsels in the team.
The work we do is varied and complex, so you will need to be open-minded, solutions-focused and able to think outside the box to find new and innovative ways of working. We are looking for someone who want to get involved early and help set up projects for success, as well as navigating through the process. You’ll need to be an exceptional communicator who can build strong relationships with a range of stakeholders.
This is a time of change at the Agency, and there is an exciting opportunity to be part of both shaping the legal team and the future-focused work in the regulatory space.
What you will bring
To be successful in this role, you will bring:
• Experience in managing the regulatory legal work in a complex organisation
• 8+ years of post-qualification experience
• A broad range of legal experience, including regulatory law
• An understanding of the public and administrative law overlay that applies to a Crown Entity
• The ability to connect effectively with colleagues in an environment where there is overlap between the work that teams do
• Experience in actively managing the legal risk profile of an organisation in a large and complex environment
• A growth mindset and collaborative working style
• A strong customer-focus
• An ability to provide proactive and solution-focused advice that is simple, pragmatic and practical
• Excellent communication and relationship building skills
• A tertiary qualification in Law
• Current New Zealand Law Society Practising Certificate
Applications close Sunday 28 April 2019
For a copy of the position description: www.nzta.govt.nz/careers
For further information, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To be considered for this position you must have a legal right to live and work in New Zealand.