Legal Counsel - Sealord - Auckland
- Become part of a global seafood company
- Flexible permanent part time role (24 hours per week)
- Auckland based
Sealord is a global seafood enterprise with a world-wide fishing, processing and marketing network. Sealord has its home base in New Zealand and has led the seafood industry in the careful and sustainable management of fish and seafood resources. Sealord operates a number of fishing vessels and land-based operations including major onshore processing plants in Nelson, as well as aquaculture interests in Australia. We employ around 1,000 people throughout New Zealand and around the world.
We are currently looking for a lawyer with at least five years post admission corporate/commercial experience gained at a major law firm and/or from working in-house. The role includes providing advice in respect of Sealord’s New Zealand and international operations, with opportunities for travel within New Zealand and overseas.
Based at our corporate and sales office in Ellerslie, Auckland, and reporting to the General Counsel, you will be exposed to a wide variety of work, including a broad range of commercial contracts and joint venture arrangements, advising in relation to various legal, commercial and regulatory issues, insurance and corporate governance matters and assisting in relation to Sealord’s legal compliance and risk management programmes. You will have the opportunity to work directly with managers and other colleagues at all levels of the organisation.
We are open to flexibility in terms of days of work but envisage the role being performed over three to four days per week.
What we’re looking for
To be successful in this role you will need to:
- Hold a current New Zealand practicing certificate (or be eligible to hold one)
- Have a minimum of five years post qualification experience in corporate/ commercial law gained with a major law firm and/or inhouse, including a good understanding of the New Zealand commercial law
- Be a great communicator with strong drafting and analytical skills
- Have strong relationship building and influencing skills
- Be able blend legal knowledge and commercial acumen
- Be pro-active and have the ability to multi-task, prioritise and work autonomously
What we’re offering
Our people are the key to making us a successful New Zealand company operating in a global seafood market. At Sealord we invest in our employees with ongoing training and career development. We encourage an innovative, fun work environment and a positive culture.
We can offer a great employment opportunity and the flexibility of hours to make it work with your lifestyle.
To apply, please apply online at www.sealord.com/nz/careers and follow the steps to upload your cover letter & CV.