Legal Counsel - nine month fixed-term - Transpower - Wellington
Do you have good experience providing contract and general commercial advice? Enjoy flexible working and both autonomy and support as a trusted advisor in our Corporate Governance team.
Transpower connects New Zealanders to their power system, through safe, smart solutions for today and tomorrow.
New Zealand's electricity system is unique. There is no other country in the world that generates its electricity from the same mix of generation sources, with the same low levels of energy storage and without a grid connection to another country's energy resources. It's against this backdrop that New Zealand will shortly find itself in the midst of a global energy transformation.
The Transpower Corporate Governance team in Wellington supports and enables Transpower's strategic priorities and provides the following:
• Oversight and management of all legal advice
• Development of the corporate compliance framework
• Administration and operation of the Transpower Board and subsidiaries
You'll partner and work across our business and with Transpower's external legal firms, government, consultants and Transpower regulators to provide high quality, commercially useful legal advice on a range of subjects. The advice will predominantly comprise general commercial, contractual and regulatory matters. You'll provide additional support to the General Counsel and Company Secretary and senior leaders on strategic initiatives and dynamic projects.
Working collaboratively, you will ensure issues are addressed and road blocks are removed to enable high performance and politically astute relationship management. You'll help and support us to drive change and manage and mitigate risk, both internally and externally.
The team is non-hierarchical and works together to share and leverage their diversity of thought and experience to enable great business outcomes and our country's sustainable energy future. Learn more in Te Mauri Hiko: https://www.transpower.co.nz/resources/te-mauri-hiko-energy-futures
What we are looking for:
• You're LLB qualified with a current Practising Certificate and good inhouse experience
• You utilise exceptional communication skills - verbal and written. You're unafraid to question and can articulate technical information in plain English
• You have experience drafting and editing documents for an executive audience
• You have astute interpersonal skills at all levels. You exercise discretion, maturity and good independent judgement and have well-developed emotional intelligence
• You apply the highest ethical standards and confidentiality to critical and sensitive information
Essentially, you love learning and continuous improvement, have a flexible approach and enjoy a role where no two days are the same. Understanding and/or experience of the energy sector, state-owned enterprises, or a highly regulated environment while not essential is a real plus.
Why work for Transpower?
Looking after our people is important to us. You'll enjoy a family friendly environment and intellectually stimulating and challenging work as part of a great inhouse legal team, in our award-winning Wellington head office.
Interested in this nine-month fixed-term contract? Please review the position description available below and apply with your resume and cover letter without delay.
Role closes Tuesday, 15 October however applications will be reviewed as they are received.
To apply for this job, please click 'apply now' or go to our job site and enter the job code 18591ILANZ.