Legal Counsel - Auckland
Legal Counsel - Auckland
Deloitte is one of the largest two and most diverse professional services firms in NZ with revenues in excess of $250m. It has posted strong growth following the GFC and brings together more than 115 partners and a national team in excess of 1300 across 8 offices nationwide. Our team works with clients ranging from New Zealand's largest companies to smaller businesses with an ambition to grow.The national position is mirrored globally with Deloitte being the largest professional services Firm in the world having a network of member firms in more than 150 countries with revenues in excess of US$40b. Deloitte NZ brings world-class capabilities and high-quality service to clients, and a fantastic workplace culture and global opportunity to our people.
Deloitte is a purpose led organisation with consistently high engagement scores across all teams and wider communities. Its global purpose is to "Make an Impact that Matters" in the communities in which we work and live.
We are looking for an Auckland based Legal Counsel, reporting to either the Chief Executive and/or the Chief Operating Officer depending on the seniority of the successful candidate and the project in question.
The nature of assistance required would include:
- Overseeing and advising the Firm on all legal matters
- Reviewing and drafting internal agreements (including Non-Disclosure Agreements, Confidentiality Agreements and Master Services Agreements)
- Providing legal oversight and/or support to the Firm for commercial projects as they arise (such as acquisitions, divestments, restructures, banking/supplier document review etc)
- Acting as a key contact point with external legal resource
- Assisting in the Firm's interactions with global and national regulators
- Assisting on other legal matters as they arise, including the legal aspects of key firmwide initiatives, and NZ aspects of key global initiatives.
Key Areas of legal expertise:
- Strong practical experience as a senior commercial practitioner across the nature and range of work streams referred to above, including a knowledge of contract law and its application in practice, and skill in drafting contracts
- Negotiation and dispute resolution skills/experience
- Knowledge of key regulation (e.g. Health & Safety, AML, Anti-Corruption), and experience interacting with regulators, affecting Deloitte NZ's business would be useful
Essential Skills and Competencies
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB) (or higher) with a strong academic background
- Minimum of 7-8 year's legal experience to an associate / senior associate level (or equivalent).
- Legal experience from working in a top tier law firm in NZ, preferably with some in-house legal experience
- Excellent communication skills and feel confident to communicate with Partners and senior employees both internally and externally when required.
- Extensive contract law experience, and the ability to understand changes in legislation/regulation and case law and update precedent documents accordingly
- An ability to work effectively with, and manage, our external legal support team
- Ability to mentor, develop and train internal legal support team
- A high attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A client service aptitude, backed by experienced commercial acumen and judgment
- Time management and excellent organisational ability
- An ability to take ownership for workload and make decisions, consulting where necessary
- An ability to take initiative and be proactive
- Flexible working arrangements will be considered
What we offer you
In return you are being offered the opportunity to join one of the world's leading professional services firms. We have a fantastic corporate culture and value our people; we also have a great office environment with one of the best views in the city! On offer for the right candidate is a generous remuneration and benefits package including;
- Car Park
- Mobile phone
- Wellness benefit
- Healthcare subsidy
- Special leave and flexibility in working arrangements in return
This is a role where you can really add value to an international firm. If this sounds like your next career step, or an opportunity to return to the workforce, submit your CV for consideration using the link below.
For further information call Sharon Manoharan for a confidential discussion on (09) 303 0728 or click here to visit our Careers webpage.