Legal Counsel - Auckland
About the company
Harcourts is an international brand now operating in 10 countries, and here in New Zealand Harcourts is currently the largest real estate group and growing! With 190 franchised offices nationally, and almost 2,500 sales consultants, we are a growing group of dynamic and talented professionals.
Putting people first continues to drive the success of our business because we believe that organisations don't succeed, people do.
About the role
This role will give you the opportunity to work closely with the wider corporate teams and franchisees providing legal, commercial and operational support. You will be responsible for the legal function for New Zealand and report to the Group General Counsel based in Australia.
In this role, you will be responsible for:
- Providing ongoing commercial legal support and advice to the management team in New Zealand.
- Managing franchise compliance across New Zealand and providing practical legal and commercial training to the management team.
- Leadership - including managing the workflow of and reviewing franchise documents drafted by the Legal Administrator.
- Managing and ensuring the management team and franchisees are informed of any relevant legislation, regulations and amendments, case law and best practice advice.
- Advising the management team and franchisees on the REAA complaints process, including pointing them in the direction of the specialist legal advice they may require.
- Drafting and review of New Zealand leases and contracts as necessary (e.g. supplier contracts).
- Establishing and maintaining appropriate corporate governance frameworks, including acting as the Privacy Officer in NZ.
- Liaising with external counsel in respect of outsourced legal matters.
- Providing high level direction to the HR Manager and NZ management team, as and when required, in relation to employment law and various employment issues (including Workplace Health & Safety).
- Providing advice and support to the Harcourts Foundation Ambassador in respect to the charitable activities of the Harcourts Foundation.
The successful applicant must be able to demonstrate:
- Legal degree and previous legal experience with a minimum of 5 years experience in a similar role.
- Demonstrated technical experience in franchise compliance in New Zealand.
- Experience in real estate law (in particular, the Real Estate Agents Act 2008) would be advantageous.
- A hardworking, adaptable, flexible and driven individual with proven ability to handle a varied role and competing deadlines.
- A positive, proactive and solutions focused attitude.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven external contact/relationship management experience and excellent customer service focus.
- Ability to prioritise and manage workflow from multiple projects.
- Ability to troubleshoot, undertake ad-hoc analysis, and process improve each task.
If you are excited by this opportunity and have what it takes let us know. Click here to apply.
Only applications with a relevant cover letter will be considered for the role. Applications close 23rd October 2017.