Legal Counsel - Auckland
- Exposure to wide variety of challenging legal work and senior leaders.
- Work in one of NZ’s high-profile businesses and largest organisations.
- Close supportive and high performing team.
- Growth opportunity.
We are looking for a lawyer to join our small but highly effective legal team as Legal Counsel. The Legal Counsel will assist and support the General Counsel and other senior lawyers in the Legal Team with various aspects of the legal and compliance functions of Foodstuffs North Island Limited (FSNI) and nationally owned Foodstuffs companies. This role is essential for our customers to ensure the ongoing success of our brands and stores through the management of legal risk.
The primary responsibilities of the role will ultimately depend on the experience of the successful candidate, but will likely include:
- Providing legal support across Foodstuffs and establishing strong effective relationships with stakeholders.
- Managing the process for the grant of PAK’nSAVE, New World, Gilmours and Four Square franchises, Co-operative membership and funding provided by Foodstuffs North Island.
- Leasing documentation and other property agreements for our $2 billion + property portfolio.
- Assisting with the management of our external lawyers and ensuring they continue to deliver value within budget.
- Supporting senior lawyers on high value and business critical commercial contracts and strategic arrangements.
- Supporting senior lawyers in providing legal support in relation to national Foodstuffs initiatives, including national contracting and high-profile marketing campaigns.
There will also be opportunity for the successful candidate to work on regulatory matters affecting Foodstuffs North Island, particularly alcohol law and in helping ensure compliance of our superannuation scheme with financial markets laws.
With a great attitude, a desire to grow, common sense and a team approach, you’ll be easy to get along with and able to work with a variety of people. You will thrive in a fast-paced environment, where your passion and drive to make a difference and grow is recognised.
We are looking for a lawyer with strong transactional experience in corporate/commercial, banking and/or property law. Exposure to consumer, alcohol or superannuation law or other regulatory matters would also be an advantage.
Astute and dynamic, keys to your success will also include:
- A tertiary qualification in Law with 3-7 PQE
- Training from a reputable law firm.
- Ability to perform under pressure.
- A flexible and open attitude to turning your hand to a variety of work to ensure the success of the team.
Previous in-house legal experience would be an advantage, but not a necessity for success in the role. We have a degree of flexibility within our team as to who does what work, so we are open to a variety of experience.
Who are we
Foodstuffs North Island is one of New Zealand’s largest companies and is the franchisor of the PAK’nSAVE, New World, Four Square, Gilmours and Liquorland brands in the North Island. We are the wholesaler, buying agent and logistics agent for these and other brands (including our own Private Label brands) and drive strategy for our retail brands. Foodstuffs North Island’s turnover is in excess of $6 billion. The broader Foodies and 300+ Member Store network comprises over 22,000 New Zealanders. We serve over 1.3 million customers every week in the most awesome little country in the world! Foodstuffs North Island also jointly owns national Foodstuffs companies which provides key marketing, product procurement and government advocacy services to the Co-ops.