Legal Counsel - Netsafe, Auckland
We're looking for a legal professional to join the Netsafe team. As one of the world’s leading online safety organisations no two days are ever the same for us. We are an independent non-profit that provides reactive and proactive online safety advice, support and education to everyone in New Zealand. In addition, we have specific responsibilities and obligations under the Harmful Digital Communications Act 2015.
We have some of the strongest relationships in the sector and collaborate with government, law enforcement, industry, academics and community organisations in NZ, and internationally, to achieve the best outcomes for internet users.
The Legal Advisor will be part of our senior leadership team and will report to the CEO. You will:
- Provide legal guidance, compliance and risk management advice to the CEO and broader Netsafe teams
- Support Netsafe’s Helpline on difficult and complex cases based on your expert knowledge of relevant law and regulation including (and especially) the Harmful Digital Communications Act 2015
- Manage Privacy Act IPP6 and Official Information Act requests
- Advise on legal issues as they arise and liaise with relevant stakeholders
- Draft and review contracts
- Deliver training from time to time on relevant legal issues
To be successful in this position you will:
- Have 3+ years post-qualification experience
- Be tech savvy and have a good understanding of information technology and its legal implications
- Have experience managing IPP6 Privacy Act and Official Information Act requests
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Have strong decision-making skills and an action orientated attitude
- Be a team player, who shares ideas and contributes towards team goals
You will be joining an organisation that deals with a serious topic and provides you with an opportunity to help people like never before. We work hard as we believe in what we do, we have a great company culture and we value our team.
We also offer:
- Five weeks of annual leave
- Subsidised health insurance
- Free fruit (and sometimes unhealthy stuff too)
- Flexibility so you can manage your work and life priorities
This recruitment process is being handled by Netsafe. Interested applicants can request a full job description by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.