Legal Advisor - Waikato
Request for Tender - Legal Advice
The Maniapoto Māori Trust Board have a vision for settlement to achieve the best possible outcome for Te Iwi o Maniapoto, in terms of appropriate recognition and redress. The negotiation team will conduct negotiations with the Crown on behalf of Ngāti Maniapoto and will be guided by some clear principles and protocols determined by the Trust Board.
The Maniapoto Māori Trust Board are seeking proposals for the provision of legal advice for the initialled Deed of Settlement [IDOS] phase of negotiations with the Crown. The current workplan aims to achieve IDOS by December 2018.
A key role will be to assist the negotiations team to review and understand the legal implications of Crown settlement offers. The Legal Advisor will provide legal advice in relation to the Initialled Deed of Settlement that may include:
- Advice and assistance on any AIP-DOS variations;
- Vesting of specific cultural redress properties;
- Final and commercial redress – transfer of specific commercial redress properties;
- Deferred selection process;
- Right of first refusal;
- Crown Forest Licensed Land;
- Other core settlement terms and definitions; and
- Final legal review and confirmation that the DOS records all agreed outcomes.
The Legal Advisor will provide legal advice in relation to the negotiation of the Maniapoto DOS with the Crown including participation and attendance in pre-negotiation, negotiation and post negotiation meetings with the negotiation team and legal advice as necessary.
The tender should include:
- Experience and expertise in your profession and within the treaty negotiations sector;
- Knowledge of the treaty negotiations sector;
- Capacity to undertake the work including the team available;
- Availability to undertake the work for iDOS phase of negotiations;
- Continuity of service and understanding with / of the Maniapoto Māori Trust Board and Maniapoto; and
- Pricing and hourly rates, including GST implications and disbursements.
Final tender documents must be received by 5pm, 8 December 2017.
All tender documents can be emailed to:
Contractor to Maniapoto Māori Trust Board