Lawyer, Southern Team - Permanent, Full time - Wellington
- Do you take pride on delivering excellent legal services?
- Are you solution focused, with initiative and sound judgement?
- Are you flexible and adaptable to changing priorities?
About Ministry of Social Development
The Ministry of Social Development (MSD) is the lead agency for the social sector. We help the Government to set priorities across the sector, co-ordinate the actions of other social sector agencies and track changes in the social wellbeing of New Zealanders.
About the Team
Legal Services provides professional legal advice and advocacy services to all areas of the Ministry. We advise frontline and National Office staff on a diverse range of matters focused on welfare and criminal law, and human rights, privacy, media, contracts, and employment law. We conduct proceedings in the District Court and represent the Ministry before the Social Security Appeal Authority and other Tribunals.
About the Role
Reporting to Team Manager, Southern the successful applicant will have a genuine desire to work in the public service and enthusiasm for advocacy and client service. Our team just went through a change process and we are looking for someone with energy, drive and passion to develop and maintain successful relationships across the team, with clients, Courts and external stakeholders.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience
- Influencing skills
- Ability to provide frontline staff with support to meet their legal needs
- Proficiency at building client relationships
- Good understanding of the legislative framework and Courts with an ability to attain Category 2 Prosecutor classification
- Advisory and litigation breadth of experience
- Strong innovation and collaborative focus
- Current practicing certificate and drivers licence
How to apply
If this sounds like you, please apply online with your CV and cover letter. Your cover letter will be a key part of our assessment process, so please highlight how your experience relates to the Position Description.
Internal MSD Employees – please apply through your myHR portal at work. This will ensure that your myHR employee profile is visible as internal candidate.
External Candidates – (including Ministry for Children employees) must apply directly through our MSD careers page at https://jobs.msd.govt.nz
Closing date: 20 July