Law Reform Adviser - fixed term contract - Wellington
- Unique opportunity to collaborate with leading lawyers on law reform and ensuring legislation is fit for purpose
- Contribute to representing the profession and working in the public interest
- Varied and intellectually challenging work in a political environment
We are seeking an exceptional candidate to join our in-house law reform team, to assist our specialist committees make submissions on diverse, interesting and important law reforms. This is a great opportunity to make a practical contribution to supporting the administration of justice and rule of law in New Zealand. Law reform is one of the New Zealand Law Society’s statutory functions and is a key part of the legal profession’s engagement with government.
You’ll be working in modern CBD offices with a collegial, supportive team of in-house lawyers, and liaising with lawyers across New Zealand who serve on our specialist committees. The work is challenging, varied and fast-paced, and requires a high level of judgment and political nous.
This is a 12-month full-time parental leave contract, but there may be some flexibility in hours for the right applicant. The role would be a good development opportunity for in-house lawyers wanting to gain insights into government policy and legislative processes, and a secondment may be able to be negotiated.
The ideal applicant will have:
- A law degree and 4+ years PQE
- An understanding of policy development and law-making
- Strong analytical, project and time management skills
- A high standard of accuracy, clarity and consistency in written and oral language
- Political awareness and diplomacy
- The ability to work well in a team
- A sense of humour
The Law Society is committed to the principles of diversity and inclusion and is keen to ensure that appointments reflect New Zealand’s multicultural society. Applications from a diverse range of backgrounds are encouraged.
For information on the Law Society’s law reform work, see http://www.lawsociety.org.nz/law-society-services/law-reform. For a confidential discussion, additional information and a position description, please contact Vicky Stanbridge, NZLS Law Reform Manager (email@example.com / 04 463 2912).
To forward your application please email firstname.lastname@example.org, including a cover letter and CV. Applications close 9am Monday 10 December 2018.