In-house Counsel - Wellington
- Pivotal and challenging role
- Lead a wide range of legal and advocacy initiatives
- Based in Wellington CBD
Based in central Wellington, the Meat Industry Association (MIA) of New Zealand is a voluntary trade association representing New Zealand meat processors, marketers and exporters. The MIA acts and advocates on behalf of its members and provides advice on economic, trade policy, market access, employment relations, business compliance costs and technical and regulatory issues facing the industry. The MIA also provides whole of industry services to its members in the areas of innovation and halal processing.
Reporting to the Chief Executive, the In-house Counsel is responsible for a wide range of legal and advocacy initiatives, including providing advice and advocacy services on all aspects of the MIA’s operations, analysing draft legislation, policy development, preparing commercial contracts and representing member companies in various fora.
This is a key position that will provide you with the opportunity to develop your career in an environment where you will take ownership of your work and have the capacity to service a major sector of the economy.
- Experience in the provision of high level legal and policy advice to executive/leadership team level and advocacy services (including to government), across a range of areas such as corporate, commercial, industrial relations, immigration and administrative law
- Excellent oral, written communication and advocacy skills and experience, ideally across commercial as well as industrial relations issues
- Well developed relationship management skills
- Superior conceptual and analytical skills, including the ability to think laterally and critically assess issues
- An appropriate legal qualification with at least eight years post admission experience
Applications close: 5pm Sunday 25 March 2018
Applications to: Kirsty McLaren at mclaren.co.nz
Position description: Available to view at mclaren.co.nz