Head of Legal, New Zealand - Auckland
Build your future with Opus
WSP Opus are team of global experts who aspire every day to transform infrastructure to create better, sustainable communities. We believe the greatest infrastructure starts with people and through our collaborative approach we're creating innovative solutions for future generations.
We are currently looking for a Head of Legal to lead our small team of in-house lawyers and contribute to the success and growth of the company in what is an exciting time for WSP Opus. Based in either our Auckland or Wellington office you will have a minimum of 8 years' PQE and ideally have a mix of private practice and in-house experience with a focus on commercial law. This is a wonderful opportunity to join the Executive Leadership Team and offer not only sound legal advice, but have a strategic input on the growth and direction of the company.
- Lead and maintain a function which is focused, commercial, and fit for purpose for the needs of WSP Opus and its related bodies.
- Provide legal services in a timely, proactive and efficient manner to all managerial levels of the New Zealand business.
- Maintain appropriate awareness of the legislative and regulatory environment relating to key aspects of WSP | Opus 's current operations, and proactively developing and implementing internal training and education programs.
- Identify potential legal risks and mitigations to brand reputation.
- Manage and lead the provision of legal services within New Zealand under the supervision and guidance of the General Counsel APAC.
- Anticipate legal exposures in relation to WSP | Opus 's various activities, brief senior management in conjunction with the General Counsel APAC on significant matters as necessary.
You will have:
- Degree in law able to hold a practicing certificate with the NZLS
- Post graduate commerce or business qualification or experience a plus
- 8+ years' PQE with at least 5 years' proven legal counsel experience in business environment
- Overall broad legal knowledge (corporate law, litigation, construction and engineering law, IP)
- A very high level of commercial awareness
- Proven leadership skills and the ability to develop effective relationships and influence at all levels of the organisation
- Ability to develop legal strategy and objectives
For an informal conversation about the role please feel free to contact either James Brown or Ben Traynor on 09 355 9500.
And how about you? You'll be agile, invested in your career have the technical expertise and the commercial acuity to contribute to our business. In return, we'll offer you a career-defining role, interesting and meaningful projects working with world leading experts. At Opus, we foster a culture of collaboration, innovation and success.