Head of Legal - Auckland
- Exciting, newly created sole charge position.
- Unique opportunity to establish the in-house legal function.
- Proactive, 'hands on' legal leadership role.
- Auckland based.
HEB Construction has grown from humble beginnings into one of the leading civil construction companies in New Zealand. An exciting new chapter of its history is underway with HEB Construction now part of the VINCI Group, one of the top 50 companies listed on the European Stock Exchange. With VINCI's added financial and technical support HEB Construction is experiencing considerable and sustained growth creating an exciting opportunity for a commercially astute senior lawyer to join HEB Construction as its first in-house counsel.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, and based in the new Head Office in Wiri, the Head of Legal will be an integral part of the Senior Leadership team. You will establish the internal legal function developing systems and processes to proactively identify and manage risk, and provide timely, accurate and commercially focused legal advice and services on a broad range of strategic and day to day matters.
A key focus of the role will involve advice on tenders, contracts and the formation of joint ventures and alliances. You will take a leadership role in setting contractual frameworks and acceptable contract risk positions, and work closely with senior executives, business managers and bid leaders. In addition, you will advise on broader legal and regulatory issues including dispute resolution and litigation, IP, environmental, health and safety, HR, trade practices, property law and governance matters. You will proactively develop and deliver internal training, and effectively manage external legal advisors to ensure optimal outcomes are achieved.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- A tertiary qualification in law and current NZ practising certificate (or eligibility to hold one)
- A minimum of ten years' PQE with specialist knowledge of construction law including 'front end' experience of engineering and construction contracts
- Generalist legal skills and ability to deliver advice across diverse areas
- Previous in-house experience highly desirable
- A high level of commercial awareness with a pragmatic, solutions focused approach
- Proven leadership skills and the ability to develop effective relationships and influence at all levels of the business
- An authentic, proactive and team-orientated working style
Opportunities to make your own mark establishing a legal function for a leading business such as HEB Construction are rare and career defining. This is an exciting time to join the business. With a new chapter unfolding for HEB Construction, its authentically kiwi, 'people first' culture, reputation for engineering excellence and 'easy to do business with' philosophy resounds as strongly today as when the business was established over 35 years ago. Why wait? This is a stunning opportunity to add real value in a legal leadership role within a highly successful business that helps sustain the communities in which we work.
For a confidential discussion about this opportunity, please contact Jennifer Williams at Williams Legal Recruitment on 09 446 6050 or email firstname.lastname@example.org