General Counsel Regulatory - NZTA - Wellington or Auckland
Be part of a strong in-house legal team
Provide expert legal advice regarding the regulatory system
Wellington or Auckland location
At the NZ Transport Agency, it all starts with our people. The organisation's performance and success depends on the people who choose to make this a great place to work and make a difference for New Zealand. The Transport Agency has a strong future focus, understanding that new technologies and changing customer expectations mean the transport system we know today will not be the one we deliver in ten years’ time.
The Legal Team is here to enable the Agency to meet its strategic objectives by providing solution-focused legal advice and to help the Agency mitigate its legal risks.
The purpose of the General Counsel, Regulatory’s role is to provide strategic legal leadership across all aspects of the regulatory system, including legislative development, drafting rules, advice on the monitoring and enforcement of regulation and appeals and prosecutions.
As our General Counsel, Regulatory, you will have 10+ years post qualification experience from a leading law firm or relevant in-house legal experience. This experience will enable you lead the development and implementation of a legal strategy and plan for the Agency’s regulatory work.
Your leadership skills will come into play as you provide clear direction in the provision of specialist advice by the in-house Regulatory team of legal advisors and external specialist legal advisors. This is a time of change at the Agency, and there is an exciting opportunity to be part of both shaping the legal team and the future-focused work in the regulatory space. Your experience in leading through change will be key to your success.
The work we do is varied and complex, so you will need to be open-minded, solutions-focused and able to think outside the box to find new and innovative ways of working. You’ll need to be an exceptional communicator who can build strong relationships with a range of stakeholders.
This is a great opportunity for a dynamic and strategically savvy lawyer to join us in this in-house role.
What you will bring
To be successful in this role, you will bring:
• Experience in managing the regulatory legal work in a complex organisation
• 10+ years of post-qualification experience
• A broad range of legal experience, including regulatory law
• An understanding of the public and administrative law overlay that applies to a Crown Entity
• Proven experience leading teams in a demanding environment
• Extensive experience in actively managing the legal risk profile of an organisation
• Demonstrated experience building a team and leading a team through change, particularly change in the way the team works
• A growth mindset and collaborative working style
• A strong customer-focus
• An ability to provide proactive and solution-focused advice that is simple, pragmatic and practical
• Excellent communication and relationship building skills
• A tertiary qualification in law
• A current New Zealand Law Society Practicing certificate
Applications close Sunday 28 April 2019
For a copy of the position description: www.nzta.govt.nz/careers
For further information, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To be considered for this position you must have a legal right to live and work in New Zealand.