General Counsel Litigation - NZTA - Wellington or Auckland
Be part of a strong in-house legal team
Provide a broad range of expert legal advice
Wellington or Auckland based
At the NZ Transport Agency, it all starts with our people. The organisation's performance and success depends on the people who choose to make this a great place to work and make a difference for New Zealand. The Transport Agency has a strong future focus, understanding that new technologies and changing customer expectations mean the transport system we know today will not be the one we deliver in ten years’ time.
The Legal Team is here to enable the Agency to meet its strategic objectives by providing solution-focused legal advice and to help the Agency mitigate its legal risks.
The purpose of the General Counsel, Litigation’s role is to provide strategic legal leadership across all aspects of regulatory, prosecution, resource management and contractual litigation work for the Agency, working closely with the other General Counsels.
As our General Counsel, Litigation, you will have 10+ years post qualification experience from a leading law firm or relevant in-house legal experience. This experience will enable you to lead the way with the development and implementation of a legal strategy for the management for all litigation within the Agency as well as support the General Counsels on resolution of disputes that might ultimately lead to litigation. This is a new role, so there is an exciting opportunity to be part of both developing the Agency’s litigation strategy and approach, as well as being part of shaping the Legal Team in this leadership role.
The work we do is varied and complex, so you will need to be open-minded, solutions-focused and able to think outside the box to find new and innovative ways of working. You’ll also need to be an exceptional communicator who can build strong relationships with a range of stakeholders.
This is a great opportunity for a dynamic and commercially savvy lawyer to join us in this in-house role.
What you will bring
To be successful in this role, you will bring:
• Experience in managing a broad range of litigation and disputes in a large complex organisation
• 10+ years post-qualification experience
• A broad range of legal experience, including commercial, regulatory, prosecutions, resource management, public, administrative and privacy law
• An understanding of the public and administrative law overlay that applies to a Crown Entity
• Experience in providing support on the development of commercial strategies
• Extensive experience in actively managing the legal risk profile of an organisation
• A growth mindset and collaborative working style
• A strong customer-focus
• An ability to provide proactive and solution-focused advice that is simple, pragmatic and practical
• Excellent communication and relationship building skills
• A tertiary qualification in law
• A current New Zealand Law Society Practicing certificate
Applications close Sunday 28 April 2019
For a copy of the position description: www.nzta.govt.nz/careers
For further information, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To be considered for this position you must have a legal right to live and work in New Zealand.