Director, Property Law - Wellington
We are the government's lead advisor on education. Each day, we work to create and deliver policies, infrastructure and systems to help children and students succeed. We need people like you - dedicated, passionate and driven - to help us continue to make a difference by lifting aspiration and raising educational achievement for every New Zealander.
- Permanent - Full time
- Lead the development and delivery of legal advice and services in a complex and fast paced Ministry department, balancing the needs of delivery with legislative and contractual requirements
Education Infrastructure Service (EIS) as a part of the Ministry manages one of the largest property portfolios in New Zealand, composed of over 2,100 primary and secondary State schools and over 8,000 hectares of land with a carrying value of $17.2 billion. EIS is also responsible for managing school payroll, school transport and for the delivery of information communication technology in schools. EIS undertakes around 3,000 projects per annum; a combination of Ministry and School led projects costing at least $800m per annum.
Portfolio and Business Assurance supports EIS to deliver its strategic objectives. EIS Legal Services is a newly formed legal group that has the aim to provide property law and related advice, analysis and opinion to support our function as a strategic infrastructure manager.
About the role
As a key and senior member of the EIS business, you will bring a systematic, disciplined approach to the provision of specialist legal advice to enable EIS and the Ministry to best manage its legal risks.
Your key priorities will include the following:
- Lead and manage an effective EIS Legal Services team, including retaining the appropriate mix of skills and specialisations
- Lead or provide oversight for particularly critical or significant matters across a broad range of matters such as:
- Construction projects including PPP Schools
- Property acquisitions and disposals under the Public Works Act
- Property and resource management l aw litigation
- Leases and licence deeds, easement instruments.
With proven legal background and experience you will be a qualified solicitor with a current practicing certificate and significant post-qualification experience (minimum of 10-15 years PQE) and a passion for providing legal advice and insights for an organisation to tick. You will be a strategic thinker and have the ability to apply sound methodologies to your work. A self-starter, you will be highly motivated and enjoy working as part of a professional and commercially focused team. Excellent communication skills are a must and you will be adept at building strong key stakeholder relationships.
To be successful, you will have the following attributes:
- Balanced IQ and EQ, capable of working in a fast-paced, group environment
- Strong strategic leadership and management skills, knowing when to lead from the front and when to lend a helping hand from behind the scenes.
- The ability to engage and mentor, and inclination to inspire and motivate staff
- The ability to influence all levels of management and staff in matrix organisational structures
- Experience in the provision of accurate and timely reporting activities to various Boards and Leadership teams
Please review the position description attached and if this opportunity interests you, and you meet the requirements, please apply now using the 'apply online' button.
For further information please contact Stephanie Phillips at firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close midnight Monday, 23 April 2018.