Community Law Lawyer - Dunedin
Our Solicitors need a strong understanding of the work of Community Law, the community we serve - the issues and the barriers.
Our working environment is stimulating, diverse and delivers services to a wide client group. No two days are ever the same! You must be highly motivated, creative, and committed to professional and personal excellence. A good sense of humour is a must.
Community Law Otago aims to meet the unmet legal needs of people in the Otago region; increase awareness about legal rights and responsibilities and to promote self-reliance and access to justice.
To be successful in the position you will possess:
- commitment to Te Tiriti O Waitangi & the needs of Maori
- the ability to practise as a Solicitor in New Zealand
- an ability to commit to Community Law Otago values
- sound understanding of social issues and a commitment to social justice
- the ability to relate to a wide range of people
- the ability to work with law students and assist with their practical learning processes
- commitment to the needs of low income and marginalised communities
- commitment to working as a team and the ability to support team members
- a pragmatic and creative approach to problem solving and dispute resolution
- excellent interpersonal skills and oral and written communication skills
- either be or willing to become a legal aid provider
- a valid New Zealand drivers licence
- Applications close 4.00pm Friday 21 September 2018