Appeals Officer – Permanent – Full Time – Christchurch
- Do you have a strong understanding of Ministry systems.
- Are you solution focused, with initiative and sound judgement?
- Are you flexible and adaptable to changing priorities?
About Ministry of Social Development
The Ministry of Social Development (MSD) is the lead agency for the social sector. We help the Government to set priorities across the sector, co-ordinate the actions of other social sector agencies and track changes in the social wellbeing of New Zealanders.
About the Team
Legal Services provides professional legal advice and advocacy services to all areas of the Ministry. We advise frontline and National Office staff on a diverse range of matters including welfare, human rights, privacy, procurement, and employment law. We conduct proceedings in the District and Employment Courts and represent the Ministry before the Social Security Appeal Authority, High Court and other Tribunals.
About the Role
Reporting to Team Manager, Southern this position primarily focuses on appeals against the decisions of the Ministry of Social Development’s frontline staff to the Social Security Appeal Authority and Student Allowance Appeal Authority, including providing accurate, timely and properly researched reports to the Authority and representing the Ministry as an advocate.
- Pragmatic, solution focused, show initiative and judgement
- Are good at building client relationships
- Front line experience and familiarity with Service Delivery processes and computer systems would be an advantage,
- Experience in preparing reports for, and making written submissions to, independent judicial bodies and internal stakeholders.
- Are strongly innovative and collaborative
- holds a drivers licence
How to apply
If this sounds like you, please apply online with your CV and cover letter. Your cover letter will be a key part of our assessment process, so please highlight how your experience relates to the Position Description.
Internal MSD Employees – please apply through your myHR portal at work. This will ensure that your myHR employee profile is visible as internal candidate.
External Candidates – (including Ministry for Children employees) must apply directly through our MSD careers page at https://jobs.msd.govt.nz
Closing date: 20 July 2018